Made an Alocasia Sculpture Jill!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Finally last year I began casting my leaves in concrete. Been meaning to try this for a long time and now down here I have the space to spread out and do it. I started with rheum leaves and then Alocasia. I've made planters, bird bath bowls, downspout splash guards and now finally my first sculpture.
It's the focal point of my new conifer garden.

Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Stunning!! I love the subtle mixture of colors you use on them.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

How are you supporting the angled leaves?

Are they resting on a big flat stump, or is the base something you sculpted also?

This message was edited Aug 9, 2016 4:46 PM

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

The four large ones have a PVC pipe base that Steve cut on an angle. The rest of them have threaded caps I. The back and a 4" pipe that screws into the cap that then fits over a steel pipe that is set in cement in the stump.

Thumbnail by haighr
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

How are the leaf backs attached to the pvc pipe caps?

Thx for taking a photo of the infrastructure!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I put threaded galvanized like caps angled in the concrete on the back of each leaf. Then screwed in a short piece of threaded pipe which then fits over the posts. I dreamed it up in the plumbing aisle of lowes

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

So they aren't permanently attached. Just a long pipe sleeve fitted tightly over another pipe set in concrete.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I get it now. Very clever!!

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Beautiful!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks Loretta. It was fun to design. Today it's more like a fountain with all the rain we've been having.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.