What\'s Blooming #3

(Zone 4b)

Quoting:
But what is appealing about this anemone is its much earlier and on-going flowering as compared to other anemones. It has been my experience that it just 'melts' if it gets much direct sun. And so I have it in a shady location.

Quoting:
Thanks rouge21 for the above info. Obviously mine have melted. I thought I was a better gardener than that.

Nothing to do with being a better gardener 'brenda'! I learned this through trial and error. I am sure it can take more sun in its native England but not in my neck of the woods.

(Zone 4b)

Quoting:
If I acquire another anemone it will be pink.

If you don't already have it I would recommend Pamina. I have a gardener friend that speak very highly of this particular anemone. Because of this I planted a small one recently.

For more details see here:

http://www.onrockgarden.com/plant_of_the_month/2014-01

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

I need a white Anenome, I like A sylvestris "Madonna" as it's one of the few spring bloomers. I'd also need a fall bloomer though.

(Zone 4b)

Quoting:
I like A sylvestris "Madonna" as it's one of the few spring bloomers.

I planted 3 "Madonna" this summer after seeing a nice display earlier this spring.

Quoting:
I'd also need a fall bloomer though.

"Honorine Jobert" is a great white flowered Fall bloomer.

This message was edited Sep 17, 2016 8:19 PM

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I have considered 'Pamina' in the past. It is too dark for my taste. I have considered many of them, like 'September Charm', 'Alice'. But so many of them seemed quite similar, and I couldn't find an objective review of them at the time.

But then 'Robustissima' appeared in my garden, and it has to be controlled but I really liked it. I added ornithogalem nutans to it, and liked the effect. That may be the way to go, once again.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I've done shade and I've tried honorine jobert and other older types several times but whatever type I try, they start wilting immediately. Each day, one stem by one stem suddenly shrivels and collapses. But I have that problem with a few plants when I bring them home from the nursery. Maybe I have a knack for picking out plants with rotten roots. Maybe a borer but who knows. I give up on them.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Mipii, there are a gazillion spring-blooming anemones!
They're typically spring ephemerals. Lots of colors.
Here are a smattering of spring anemones in my yard:
A nemorosa Bracteata plena
A appenina plena
A coronaria
A blanda Charmer

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

A ranunculoides
A blanda
A nemorosa White Splendour
A hortensis

As you can see, lots & lots of spring anemone choices.
I think of anemones as spring plants, as they do well in woodland settings.
Being sun-deficient, the Japanese anemones aren't a good fit for me.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Woah! That was a nice little show! Unfortunately, they don't stick around for me either. Is A. coronaria hardy for you, WR?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I had tried it many years ago and it didn't survive, not sure if winter hardiness or summer heat/humidity was the culprit. But I have this new bluish/purple one which has stuck around past several years. It's in a drier location. We'll see if it survives a cold winter.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Very pretty spring anemones. I - too have problems with the tall anemones. I have a purple one and it will surprise me now and again. It struggles in the heat & humidity here. There is still some growth with it now, though I double I will see blooms this year. I ordered 4 of the HP white anemones earlier and the year and planted them and left them to fend on their own. That was probably a mistake. It was like the earth swallowed them up.

Here are a few things I can grow that are happily blooming now.. The Aster, the lespedeza bush, the fall crocus, the native lobelia, and the Victoria salvia (that acts as a perennial). Seems the aster and the fall crocus truly spell fall even though the temps do not.

Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Nice, Brenda. Your lespedeza is remarkable.
It's nice that you've got room for it (and enough sun).
I have one squeezed next to the road which hasn't started blooming yet.
Doesn't get enough sun. Never blooms as nicely as yours.
I've been afraid to plant fall-blooming crocus since their blooms are timed to our worst heat/humidity of the year; never figured the blooms would stand it,
but yours look great. Might need to reconsider.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Thanks Weerobin - yes, you may want to reconsider the fall crocus, especially if space is of essence. I saw some planted at the edge of a rock once and I thought that was a grand idea to know where they were and they had the rock as their backdrop.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I nearly pulled this 'weed' this past weekend, a big old course thing.
But to my great surprise, it had these beautiful flowers.
I don't remember planting it, but googling it, looks like a match for
Verbascum chaixii Album. No clue how it got here, maybe I planted it?
Overall, I still am not sure I think it's effective, given the small flowers,
but an interesting plant regardless.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I also have cyclamens doing their opposite things this time of year.
The fall bloomers are just getting going - C hederifolium & cilicium
And the winter bloomers are just putting up leaves (C coum).
My C cilicium is barely planted - the entire bulb is showing above ground (#1 & 2).
I presume I should replant deeper, but it's thriving - hate to mess up a good thing.
C hederifolium alba is a scary jumble of blooming shoots - just getting started (#3).
It will be a remarkable display of pure white flowers in the next week or two.
C coum on the other hand is just putting up foliage. Here are two small potted plants of C coum (#4 & 5), the one on the Rt is the cultivar Christmas Tree.
I like cyclamen in the shade under thirsty trees where other things don't thrive.
They want to be dry in summer - the tree roots make sure of that.
They have done really well for me - I love the fact that they put up foliage and bloom at such strange times, when a little life in the garden is appreciated.

A nemorosa Bracteata plena is seductive, but then again...most of your offerings are Wee. Oh, it was zone and dry shade that limited my white spring blooming selection, not just spring blooming. Thanks for setting me straight on that. I also agree about Brenda's Lespedeza, it's stunning.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wee, give your verbascum a chance. I have started these from seed I got in a trade years ago. I also started V nigrum and truthfully, I can't tell the difference between the two until they bloom. One is yellow and one is white. They can be very small or they can be huge depending on the conditions and space.
Cyclamen - I've started C. coum and C. hederifolium from seed and did well but the squirrels dig them up looking for food. Another plant I've given up on.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ

I think your Verbascum just needs a better backdrop to show off, it gets lost with the incredible Snow Fairy stealing the show. I had no idea Verbascum blooms were so small, but they're extremely pretty.

Thanks for the Anemone suggestion Rouge, "Honorine Jobert" is perfect.

(Zone 4b)

'Loretta', is that "Butterfly Weed" in the background? It seems to look very healthy and vigorous

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

I'm curious - Is that the same type of cyclamen sold through florists on occasion?
I've enjoyed your verbascums. And I too noticed what looked to be the butterfly weed blooming profusely.

I'm thinking of digging my cala lilies. It is about 3 weeks earlier than I normally dig them - what do you think. Is it too early?

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yeah, I have it for a few years. They are healthy plants. They do host a few species of bugs but even with them, so far they stay looking healthy.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Are your Calla lilies starting to die back yet? For me, it is too early except for a couple that look a little sorry. I cut them back the same time as the dahlias.
What do you do with caladiums? I never seem to be able to overwinter them. I have a few Miss Muffets and I'd like to keep them.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Brenda, the florists' cyclamen is usually C persicum, which is gorgeous, but isn't hardy around here. Mine shown above are all hardy - the ones in pots are ones I was planning to move, but have started to put up leaves before I got around to resettling them. I didn't have luck with them for years until I discovered how well they do under maples with all those roots which helps keep them on the dry side during summer. Mine are planted right next to the front door, since they're small and are either putting up attractive variegated foliage or blooming in late fall or even the dead of winter. It's nice to keep them where you'll see them at odd times of the year.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Quote from Loretta_NJ :
Are your Calla lilies starting to die back yet? For me, it is too early except for a couple that look a little sorry. I cut them back the same time as the dahlias.
What do you do with caladiums? I never seem to be able to overwinter them. I have a few Miss Muffets and I'd like to keep them.

Loretta - I don't think my calla have ever offered to die back in the fall before I dug them and they are certainly growing strong now. As for the caladiums - I'm planning on leaving mine in the containers they are in and moving the containers into the garage. Those little caladium bulbs are a little tricky to me and I'm still experimenting with storing them over - so I'm not the best person to ask. It's hard for me to figure which is the top and which is the root end of the caladium bulbs.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

WR- Thanks for the feedback on the cyclamen. It sounds like your patience with them has really paid off and right by and entrance - sounds perfect.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I received a Tricyrtis 'Imperial Banner' from Raulston Arboretum earlier this year. When I received it I looked it up and it was only available in the UK, but now it is at some (very expensive) domestic nurseries. They try to send me things that are fully hardy and unusual. I got a variegated japanese kerria and other fun stuff. I planted the toad lily in 80% shade and it is doing very well. It's not something I would have bought on my own, but I am happy that I have it.

https://jcra.ncsu.edu/resources/photographs/plants-results.php?serial=120644

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Beautiful - Beautiful!! Thanks you everyone for sharing.

Very nice Tricrytis Donna, I love the variegation and the green border on each leaf. You must have a membership at Raulston Arboretum.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I do indeed. I discovered them in 2004 during a business trip. I walked in and saw all kinds of wonderful plants, and unlike so many other places, admission was free and they encouraged me to walk around and enjoy myself. I was so impressed I told them I wanted to support them, and started at Sponsor level, which was $250. They expressed their surprise, because I am too far away to benefit from many of the goodies. But they kindly make sure that most of my membership plants are hardy in zone 5, and I receive sometimes quite unusual ones that aren't in commerce for a while. Some times I get things like abelias which are tender, but have such small rootballs that I dig them and put them on my southfacing house site during the winter. Very cheering, because they continue to bloom.

My favorite plant of all time is the Deutzia 'Chardonnay Pearls' they sent me in 2009. I dug it up and brought it to my new home. This was a couple of years before it was widely available. It is at its mature height of about three feet, and for such a delicated looking thing, it's really tough!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

That was a really nice story Donna...everybody wins! I also love Deutzia, it's the kind of plant that makes you want all of them. After moving my Deutzia gracilis 'Nikko' I'm ecstatic it's really happy in it's new home.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

It's one of those plants about which I knew nothing. In Michael Dirr's (the shrub guru) earlier books he definitely dissed them, calling them essentially as dull as ditchwater. But he has had a change of heart. He now talks about the favorably, at least gracilis, which is what you and I have. I must confess that I have waited four years for my Deutzia scabra 'Codsall Pink' plants to do anything. Once they did, it was pretty cool. But as you know, gracilis is the way to go. 'Nikko' is on my list.

(Zone 4b)

I don't have any Deutzia but I see there is a variegated (and compact) edition known as Creme Fraiche.

(Is it your experience that Deutzia require full sun to be successful?)

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have a variegated one which I just have labelled as D gracilis variegata. Not sure if it actually has a cultivar name. I really like it, though it often throws off revertant branches (last picture shows a revertant branch). It's much smaller than my other very vigorous deutzias, maybe 3-4ft tall.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Blooming now:

Miscanthus sinensis "Graziella'

Feverfew 'Tetra Strain' - blooms for months

Abuliton 'Voodoo' in a pot outdoors to avoid spider mites.

Rose Morden 'Snowdrift', essentially a white Morden Blush with the same great qualities.

Rose de Rescht, which is blooming for perhaps the 8th time this year.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Deutzia Yuki 'Cherry Blossom' is on my list. I can simple layer you some D. Nikko if you like Donna.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Two beautiful Deutzia's! I have one but can't remember what kind. I got it 15 years ago from a nursery that is out of business. It remains very small and grows in shade. It still is nice but doesn't put on quite the flower show I've seen deutzia's do.

Nice show, Donna. I bought seed for a double feverfew from I forgot who but it never germinated. Still, I have plenty of the plain ol' singles. Always love abutilon.

Rouge, my Deutzia likes full sun, I'm guessing the variegated varieties would prefer more afternoon shade.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Mipii, really? I would love that!

The feverfew I have is a double. I germinated it once, and it has come back every year (and brought friends). If you have too much, you just tear it out. It's so flexible that I dig it up and move it to bare spots. The great thing is that, unlike some plants (look out for nicotiana alata and climbing nasturtiums!) it doesn't kill other plants with a great big rootball! It just sparkles. In front of a dark backdrop (viburnum dentatum in the first picture) it lights things up.

Peppered through a bed in full sunlight (second pic).

Adding pep to a once blooming rose (third pic).

Running around with lots of little plants (fourth pic).

It's even charming in leaf (fifth pic). That's in May.

And it blooms all season. You can cut it back or just pull it out. Since it drops seed, the few patches that need pulling out get replaced.

And it's hardy in zone 5a.

Try just throwing some seed out there. I haven't actually germinated it indoors in about five years.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I like my deutzias because they'll still bloom in partial shade. But I agree with Mipii, they'll be happier & bloom much better in full sun. I'm not sure if my variegated one would burn in full sun or not, since (like pretty much everything else in my yard) he's in a partial shade situation.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wee,

I moved my Codsall Pinks into a part sun part shade area with a little more sun and they finally bloomed. Then I knew why I took your advice and planted them. So pretty!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.