What is eating the leaves off my tomato plants?

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

The damage is high, maybe 5 1/2' to well over 6'. The leaves are stripped off the branches and some of the high green tomatoes have bites taken off them but left on the plant. This does not happen every day, just 2 or 3 times so far this summer.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Have you seen any Tomato Hornworms? Sometimes they are difficult to see because they are well camouflaged by their green color.

This message was edited Aug 6, 2016 8:15 AM

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

I haven't seen any tomato hornworms at all. I know what those ugly suckers look like! Besides so far it is only 2 of my 9 plants and only at the top. I would think if they were around there would be more consistent damage and on more plants.

Could it be deer?

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

I take that back. I just looked up photos of hornworm damage and it looks like what is happening with my plants. I will check more closely tomorrow.

This is the first time there has been a vegetable garden in the area. The plants are in a raised garden bed with brand new organic soil (Miracle Gro Organic Raised Bed soil) so I didn't expect overwintered pests.

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, I finally saw the dreaded tomato hornworm! It was covered with parasitic wasp larvae!!! So I left it alone.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Smart move since the damage to that plant is already done and he won't be getting too far now. Although it is hard to resist the urge to kill the sucker for sure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.