Big stump

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

This tree fell over. It looks to be at least 12 feet diameter at the base. Now it can be a nurse log, and fern nursery. I bet someone heard it when this tree fell in the forest!

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Maybe my poor guy isn't quite as impressive as your fellow...
But after getting the $5000 estimate to remove my fallen oak, I would love to let it be a nurse log/fern nursery instead. But alas, most of it lies in my neighbor's backyard.
Hmmm, what else might I be able to do with $5000???
And the funny thing is my wife was home and didn't hear it fall!
Maybe they don't make a sound?

Eeek $5000. That might buy a really nice chainsaw and a log splitter too!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

$5000??? Grief! Waaaay over the top!
Even $500 I'd think would be steep, unless access is really difficult and the tree hung up in another tree.

Resin

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Access is awful - I fear they'll ruin much of my yard with big equipment to get to the site. And multiple nearby trees had limbs partially sheared off. And it was a huge tree. If it were in the middle of my wooded area, I would just leave it. But it's right at the edge of what passes for the civilized part of my yard very prominent in view from the house and most of the body of the tree is laying smack in middle of my neighbor's yard, so it's got to go. I expected a couple thousand but not $5K. The event was 3 wks ago - there are so many trees down, they can't even get to mine for another 2 months. Sounds like a pretty lucrative business.

Waukegan, IL(Zone 5a)

What a beautiful sight to see a fallen giant, now a home for new life. It just says it all about the cycles of nature. However, when a tree falls in your yard it's a whole different story. Several years ago we experienced a weather event called a "derecho" which destroyed many hundreds of trees in our county and knocked out power for over a week. The event spanned several states and caused massive damage. My niece had a tree crash through her roof. The first picture I posted is the tree that took out power in our neighborhood. Oddly, the weather was nice but we got a warning that the wind would hit us in 15 minutes and in exactly 15 minutes it arrived so we were all watching as it happened. The trees did make a sound when they fell but not really as loud as you would suppose.

Thumbnail by chris_h Thumbnail by chris_h Thumbnail by chris_h Thumbnail by chris_h
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Wow, my worst nightmare. Fortunately our enormous tree fell relatively harmlessly across my & my neighbor's backyards without hitting any structures. But those pictures illustrate why I'm going to have two huge ash trees removed at the same time they remove the fallen oak. I don't want to end up posting my personal version of the awful event above. One of the ash trees looks like it's declining anyway, maybe EAB, but not sure.

Ugh.
That noise you heard was your wallet screaming.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Hmmm, busy season prices go up. Hauling off gets charges to dump. $500 per tree is avg- though I see some that are $800 each. My chainsaw needs tuned...and sharpened.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm certainly going to have them leave me whatever chipped remnants they can ... it'll be a mountain of goodness!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Are they supposed to chip it? We had a few slabs of a huge trunk left for an impromptu table, still drying.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Around here, they'll leave you chips on request. I had about 150 wheelbarrows full last time I had a couple trees removed. Made for some nice paths through my wooded lot, then the paths ended up with the nicest soil in my yard a year or two later. This time, the chips will go directly into the planted areas.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

perhaps you can advertise in the paper for someone to cut it that might want it for firewood.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.