Impatients Floundering

Machesney Park, IL

I planted six shade loving impatients on the north side of my house, right along a walkway against the house. So well shaded. I watered them in well the first day. I watered them the next day and they looked great. The following morning, I was shocked to see five of the six plants were all wilted and the flowers were all gone. I panicked and looked for some sevin dust but didn't have any. So, I sprayed a bit of Raid Ant and Roach killer on them. I walked by an hour later and all but one were upright again and looking alright. But then after another hour or so, the plant that was good from the beginning started wilting along with some of the others, so, I sprayed more Raid--I have contractors at the house and can't leave. This game went on for the rest of the day...I guess the Raid was strong enough to chase whatever was bugging the plants away...but not strong enough to keep them away. the plants were wilted, but, not eaten. I could not see anything on or under the leaves. There were ant like hills or indentions in this planter, but, nothing else noticeable. I have not had great luck with this planter, but, nothing this dramatic. LOL

Today, I got to the garden center and picked up a Bayer product to hopefully stop whatever was going on. They perked up a bit, but, later in the day looked pitiful. In the backyard I had some grasshoppers chow down on my lilies. They never had made it to the front yard because I killed them when I saw them. This year I missed them as I have been up north. Any idea what is going on? I am at a loss and none of my friends here have any specific ideas...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.