3 hydrangeas in the picture

(Zone 4b)

A "Bobo", a "Tuff Stuff" and in the background I think you can spy a "Fire and Ice".

Thumbnail by rouge21
Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

How nice, rouge21. Looking at the picture reminds me that I need a rebloomer lacecap. The two that I have either (a) Unknown variety - loose the blooms quickly after being pollinated or (b) Fuji Waterfall - the blooms will last longer (hmmm, not being pollinated perhaps) but FW is very persnickety with winter issues although it is in a protected area (so it has no blooms in some years). I should winter protect it but I am too lazy.

The majority of my blooms have browned out by now so enjoy yours while they last. Only Little Quickfire, Mme. Emile Mouilliere and Fuji Waterfall have bloomage. Except for FW which has some nice white blooms (and a few brown outs), the others's blooms are fading and turning shades of green-pink.

How are you liking F&I?

(Zone 4b)

Quote from luis_pr :
The majority of my blooms have browned out by now

'luis' , you are somewhere...hot....Texas?

I was thinking that so many (all? ;)) hydrangeas would have great trouble doing their thing in such a hot, dry climate? I am sure water helps them but still...how do they cope in such harsh summer conditions?

Quoting:
How are you liking F&I?

It is by far the largest hydrangea we have as we have a small residential property. Each early spring I need to trim it back to keep it in check. (It is 6 feet tall and an irregular 3 to 4 feet in width). It is a very reliable, relatively early bloomer which keeps it flowers well into Fall. The picture below makes it look like the flowers on this single F&I are browning but it is really the start of a tinge of pink.

Thumbnail by rouge21
Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Yes, hot is putting it mildly. Normal temps would be 100s daily from July thru September. Up to the 110s but usually only once. This year has been milder with temps hovering 96-102. All those white blooms start to peter out when we go past 95. But I cannot complain; I got a chance to enjoy them long since they bloomed very early -starting in March- this year. I did a drive thru around the nearby houses with hydrangeas late July and theirs were brown too. Oh well. I am sure even less sun would help but it is difficult finding locations in my yard that get shade by 10am or earlier. The shaded spots that are left get sun thru 11am-12pm.

I saw a F&I (tree form) for sale at a local nursery. Did not get to see much of the blooms as they went from white to brown in a week (weekend to weekend). I was checking the F&Is aaand some Vanilla Strawberry's that they had for sale.

(Zone 4b)

Quote from luis_pr :
But I cannot complain; I got a chance to enjoy them long since they bloomed very early -starting in March- this year.

Oh...I never thought of that. Whereas I get nice blooms starting mid JULY; and with water these blooms can look nice into October...so 3.5 months in total...so maybe the same total time as you get before it gets too warm?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.