Best/Worse/What did I Learn Today?chat with friends new/old!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thought I would move us over

We came from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1428030/

This message was edited Jul 25, 2016 1:36 PM

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

I'm FIRST .. maybe :-)

~M~

Jeeze, I go t so excited I pressed reply LoL

Can imagine you're excited Betty .. Thursday will arrive all too soon, and you'll all be off on an adventure.
I take it Linda's hubby is ok ?

Busy day .. got a new Keurig ,, like Diannes I'm thinking ..

Had coffee with Murray .. yes, MURRAY .. he is having BIG problems with DGD Brooklyn .. he has had a major promotion and can't even enjoy it.
She has dropped out of school .. did not graduate with her class .. Metro has let her go as she doesn't show up, AND, she and her BF are smoking weed ..
His parents are frantic about it all as well ..
Tough stuff :-(

Anyway .. we have a lovely breeze with the high temps ..

BBL

~M~

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Sorry to hear about your granddaughter getting involved with the wrong kids. Not a way to start your career, dropping out of school.

Victoria Harbour, ON

"m" don't I know all too well how you just don't know where to turn when something like this happens to one of your own..you feel so helpless..can only pray that they snap out of it I'm so praying that all will go well with Noah while his parents and I are in Newfoundland..they leave Wednesday..he is doing well at work but has had a few accidents, sometimes I wonder if he doesn't have a death wish..won't go there..

Glad you and Murray are speaking and you are able to give him a hug. He sure needs you now..

Verona, ON

Diesel was the hit of the vet office today. This was the day he and Duke had their 2 blood test for Lymes. This test is sent off to Ottawa. Results could be 48 hr or more. While we were waiting for Duke to come out 3 guys came into the office. They were tripping all over each other to pet Diesel. Diesel just took it all in. 2 blood tests..... $270.00 total.

Oh M it is so hard with these teens . Is she planning on going to school come fall? How old is your DGD?

Sky has threatened rain all day but nothing other than a few drops.

BBL
Dianne

Victoria Harbour, ON

They know when they have an audience don't they Dianne..think best paying jobs right now are vets.lets hope the results are clear..
Sending you my sunshine.

Waiting for Greg, asked him to drop in, he is always doing something for me so I got an envelope with some cash in it for his trip, know he won't want to take it but that's ok I will win on this one.

Not hungry for supper, think I will make a grilled cheese, that should be enough to keep me going till morning.

Was a good girl, got off the couch and went back quilting, glad I did because the quilt is off the frame and I'm starting to hand sew binding

Brooklyn will be 18 on Thursday .. and I never thought, nor did anyone else, that she would be this way ..
Feel bad for Murray, he got a promotion today and can't even enjoy it ..

SIGH
~M~

Verona, ON

And of course at 18 she is considered an adult. What is the legal drinking age in Ontario now ? Can see more than a little bit of tough love coming. Can Murray and DIL commit to that M ?

Diesel and Duke are just wiped out from their vet visit. Being a rock star hasn't gone to Diesel's head.The 1 guy moved a little too close to me and saw Dies move in front of me and give the guy a look.

On 1 side of the house the sky is pitch black and on the other sunny.

While I was listening to the news last night 1 of the anchors commented that we have already lost 22 min of daylight since the summer soultice.

Dianne and her TH

Here's praying the lab results are clear.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Bed time
Tired, worked non stop but got the wedding quilt off the frame and binding hand sewn..3 more of these to go lol

Thinking of doing a different wedding design for the next one

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Good morning ...

Beauty quilt Betty, a treasure :-)

Dianne, hope the labs are good, and, I can imagine Diesel ruled the waiting room :-)
Hope you get some rain, in a small dose ..

Murray and his wife (mostly Murray), are very logical and straight forward with Brooklyn .. bottom line .. she was GIVEN way too much in her young life, and, never had to work for any of it .. spoiled shall we say .. but, I never thought she'd do something like this.

64F right now with 83% humidity .. I do think this is the last day of our heat wave ..

Dianne .. it is DARK out right now, a month ago it was light ..and, so it goes ..

BBL

~M~

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi All! Where's the summer going? Everyone sounds busy. We are having a whirlwind summer of friends and family at the cottage and in Atlanta. Certainly not the down time we anticipated but that's just fine.

Betty, looking forward to hearing about your trip. It was off again/on again for a while, wasn't it? Enjoy your adventure.

M, your Murray story is not singular. We had a similar story and so have many friends. It's little consulation but was reassuring to know it happens to loving parents too. As for DGD, not finishing school is the most troubling scenerio because options become limited but it sounds like part of the package.

We have been getting much needed rain in the form of afternoon thunderstorms. Very nice for the garden. Been mid to high nineties every day though. The garden is full of goodies. I so love to go out and pick in the morning, gloat over the bounty on the counters and create a meal that started months ago with a few seeds.

Sharing pics of Lil'E fishing on Maypop pond this past weekend and the whole wheat boule I baked last night. Going to eat it along with a selection of near vegetarian dishes tonight.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Oh "M" - I'm so sorry this is happening with your DGD. I know how much you are hurting. I will keep her in my prayers.
Love the photos Laurel. Your grandson is adorable and so very proud of himself. Was the boule as good as it looks?
You must be getting anxious to hit the road Betty. I didn't realize it was this week!!!
In case I don't get back here - safe travels my friend...
Easy day here with temps in the 90s. Inside for me......

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi All,

Sweltering summer for all it seems this year, hope a severe winter isn't in the wings!

Just some advice for Marilynne,

I know I'm coming late on this but I've been on vacation and not reading emails. Our Keurig died about a month ago and DH found out that you have to clean the needles every now and then, ours were plugged up with the tiny bits of coffee that get in when the needle punctures the cap of the coffee holder. He cleaned both of them out with a tiny wire and it has been working great ever since.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

M - sorry about this time of trial with your DGD. I hate to say it, but she'll learn. Let's hope & pray that she comes out of this time relatively unscathed.
Betty - that quilt is beautiful

After 3 weeks almost steady rain, we're enjoying the sun, but it's not as hot as you ladies are having it - although it's 20c atm..........
Thinking that it would have been my dad's 114th birthday, July 22nd. He taught me my love of gardening.....
3 weeks yesterday - Big Move........ Aug 15th. Lots to do before then. Move my garden of plants, shrubs, etc.
I was gifted a peony and can't think of them without thinking of Carol and her love of peonies I don't know what it will look like. It's in a baggie, and in the fridge. Just a baby.

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Terri ...
You and your DH may have saved the day ..
The Keurig we bought is just not too user friendly .. I told my DH about the needles, and he just let out a whoop LoL
He ALMOST carried it off o the dump an hour ago, but, forgot it ..
HUGS !!!!!!!!!!!!

It's in the 90s here, won't let the dogs out .. silly moi, hung laundry out .. pfft . will be bringing it in lots later fer sure ..
Do NOT know how Lorna is handling this heat at the cemetery .. I think they should all just go home !

Oh my Carol .. FancyVan .. such a wonderful lady .. I sure hope your Peony is ok Susan .. maybe you should pot it ?

Going for a shower

Toodles

~M~

Verona, ON

Hot today but no humidity. I was able to get out and work in the yard for a while this morning.

Dawn was here this morning so the house looks and smells great.

The TH are all flaked out sound asleep. Still too hot for a long walk

BBL
Dianne.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yes, Carol/FancyVan was a lovely lady, and is missed.
I was told by my friend Jackie, that I could put the peony in the fridge until I'm ready to plant it, so there it is, in a plastic baggie, surrounded by soil

Verona, ON

Oh Betty are your bones really acting up.. still or again ? Man I am almost ready to try the Mott boys answer to pain. My right knee is twice its usual size.

Our new neighbours have a little ankle biter of a dog named Juno. There have been 2 complaints already about the dog wandering around. Don't know why as the road committee we need to speak to the newbies. I suggested the complainers talk to the couple about it but they don't want to create bad feelings. Geesh !!!

The TH do not want to eat their dinner. Rotties usually never refuse food whether they are full or not. They just want to lay on the floor vents.

Counting the hours Betty till go time ? There has been a lot of traffic the last couple of weeks on the Hwy that goes through the village. Foodland and LCBO are doing an amazing business. They sure needed it.

M any more news from DS about DGD today ? Will your DS and DIL have enough strength to pose a united front about behavioural standards?

D and her TH

Victoria Harbour, ON

Evening all,
Girls were here today, that is always nice, sat and applique's around leaves,salmon and lobster..takes a bit of effort when some needing done are in the middle of the quilt and did manage to get t on the quilt frame.

Dianne, likely the same with Missy, just too darn hot to eat, wanted to share my Kentucky fried chicken, she had a few bites and there it sits..

Yes,aching like crazy, last night I put 'blue ice on hips,knees and toes, took a Tylenol 3 and slept right through the night which was nice..had I not had to put garbage at roadside likely I would have slept in. Get the blue ice at $$$ store, better than any other run on gel you pay big $$$ for..got a mat packed..so soothing

2 more sleeps Dianne , not into counting hours yet but bags are at the door.

Bit of a snafoo

We are going to be in Rocky harbour Monday, boat up the fjord in afternoon then a show at 8pm for 3 hours which I'm told is a 'don't miss'..there are no hotels in the area available, we would have to drive 1 1/4 hrs to our hotel, that alone is not the problem, they keep saying it's like going through Algonquin park at midnight, lots of moose, more so in Newfoundland, area has about 2,500 so could be dangerous..it's either not go to the show so we need dent worry about road conditions.

Now Greg, they booked a months ago, they and another couple have a 2 room cabin, want me to take 2 air mattresses they have and sleep in their cabin, haven't broached this to the girls yet, want to see how much room they would take in my trunk area..with all our luggage at best it just fits in so have no idea how I could fit them in

He also called the establishment he is in and the confirmed no accommodations and never get cancellations but they have a hostel that is kind of first come basis, Greg will be there the night before so maybe he could check first thing the morning we need accommodations

To me it doesn't matter I'd sleep on the air mattress but don't know about the others..after all by the time the show ends and we'd settle in it would be midnight, we would be leaving at 7am..bonus would be $220 we wouldn't pay for the place we have

First thing is to check if mattresses would fit? Then talk to girls

What to do, what to do

Oops back in a bit, company at the door

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

Marilynne, glad to help! Our has a removable piece on the bottom part of the coffee "Cup" holder, with a white arrow at the back of it, we just pulled up carefully at the arrow and it unhooked and came off. We rinsed out the entire piece that came off and ran a thin wire into the needle there, not sure if it actually went through- also on the removed plastic piece, theres a sort of drain at the bottom and that was totally clogged.. The top piece didn't come out that we could see so DH just pushed the wire into it,and some bits of coffee came out.

Good luck!

Sorry aobut your granddaughter, my sister and BIL are going through the same things with their twin girls. The girls both moved out when they were 17, just dropped out of school and left, supposedly because their mother told them they had to obey the house rules. One decided she wasn't sure what sex she was, shaved her head at the sides and both were smoking pit and we suspect doing harder drugs. Now they are 18 and one has moved back home but refuses to answer to any name but Neptune and wants to be referred to as they/them, most likely still does drugs and eats only junk food and not much of that. She has bulemia, so my sister expects that at some point they wil find she has passed away. My BIL refused to let my sister handle any discipline of these children while they were growing up; he wanted to be their friend and so he would reason with them instead of parenting them. In his case it consisted of directing sarcastic remarks at them in a joking manner or so he thought. I stay out of it, I'm just here to listen because neither of them have ever taken our advice.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Terri, great bit of info re cleaning Keurig, wonder how many threw theirs out when they could have been cleaned.

We had a refrigerator that when you woke up the morning there would be water everywhere, we took hose of back of refrigerator, blew the line and voila, good as new.

Kids, what works for some doesn't work for other, like Noah, who would have believed it..so feel for all of you, know the heartbreak and worry

Terri .. the old Keurig is sitting on the counter reservoir filled with water .. am unsure as to whether DH attempted the fix of not last night ..
Sure appreciate the info :-)
As for the DGD .. you NAILED it .. her and her Mom are 'BESTIES' .. DDinlaw wants to be her very best friend ..no parenting from her .. and, Murray is the 'negotiator' .. logical thinker, but FAR TOO GENEROUS ..
Brooklyn still hasn't come home .. DS thinks she is living from her car .. which he foolishly had refurbished after she rolled it 6 weeks ago !!!
Who knows how this will pay out, she turns 18 on Friday ..

Betty .. and air matress ? I'd be a cripple in the morning, not to mention how the heck I'd get up and off of it ..
Hope it all works out ..

Heading for groceries early .. yesterday was terribly HOT here .. well over 95 and, STILL ..
Supposedly better today ..

Betty .. Lorna thanks you every day for those neck coolers .. she wears them faithfully, and, BOTH of us use the tote bags .. she keeps hers in her office (her truck) .. I grab mine everytime I head out :-)

Best get on with breakfast

BBL

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning,

Terri did you say you were away?? Holidays?

"M" sure you are beside yourself with worry,mhe art goes out to you. Noah has had 3 accidents in 6 months, think he has a death wish..big sigh
Am sure when Greg and Mel leave today he will be on their mind, he is working every day and they are pleased with his work so that is a plus.

Will be interesting to see if your Kerrigan works, would you then return the other?

Helped Linda make those neck coolants for family that she visited in Missouri,mother too are using them in this heat...as for the bags, we all use them, in fact we are allowed one large space bag for our clothes one one of the tote bags for this trip lol

Last night they called for rain, this morning says no rain, must have passed us by so guess I will have to water..decided to bring every hanging basket and set them on spare bedroom deck so mom can just water easily..11 days without watering would so them in I'm sure so that is what I will do this morning.

Will quilt for a bit, nothing else to do, mom will arrive sometime today so maybe we will go out for supper.

Got emails from a couple of the girls saying "1 more sleep" all are getting anxious

Am sure I will not take air mattresses, just don't the room..one of the hotels I called last night when asked about dangers travelling late night through that moose area says people travel those roads all the time, just have to be cautious so I'm sure we will be ok

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi Betty,

Family reunion in New Jersey and then just a day here and there sightseeing. We visited a Church in Petersburg, Virginia, Old Blandford Church. It has 15 Tiffany stained glass windows and they were magnificent! One of the Saints in thw wondow had a sword and with the light coming through it, looked as if it were glowing. Tiffany used so many techniques with the glass to add colors and texture, including folding the glass while it was hot to create ripples of different color shades.
http://www.preservationpetersburg.org/explore_blandford_church.html

I understand there is an entire museum in Florida devoted to Tiffany's works, one day I think I'd like to visit there to view them.

Verona, ON

M is your DGD's vehicle registered in Murray's name or your DIL's ? If it is he can call it in as missing. Dramatic step but something has to reach her attention. Who pays for the gas an insurance ? PM if you want some more info. These are the types of kids I used to work with in TO.

Glorious day here and all I want to do is go back to sleep. My right knee is still swollen almost double so will be careful how much weight I put on it.

1 day Betty !! Woo hooo

Dianne and her TH

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Good ideas Dianne. Stop any gravy and see how long it takes for her to return home. And then let her earn anything she wants....Usually doesn't take too long.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Guess that is easier said than done, what other means would they take to survive..hard choice isn't it??

Having Kentucky fried chicken know it's a tad early but quilting on the mycanada quilt is going very well, if I eat now likely in a few hours it can come off the frame and while mom does her cross stitch tonight I can hand sew the inning

Winds up, almost tempted to press off on a/ci

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Funny this morning. Oh my these kids.....I look out the kitchen window and a deer is grazing just across the street, so I call all the kids to come see. Sammi..."Where's grandpa's gun when we need it?" Me..."We aren't going to shoot it. look at her how pretty she is". Brody, walking away shaking his head...." All that meat".

Heart is hurting for all the heartache with grands. I've gone a few rounds and so far all has ended well. One of my DS's step son won't speak to the family or him since he and their mom divorced although they are on better terms now than when married. We miss him he had been ours since he was less than 4. His sister had a bad time with prescription meds for a few years but has it all together now. Another DGD had always sparred with her mom and I was the one she would listen to. Dropped out, spent a few nights in jail over Minor in possession issues. I talked her back into school and with almost nightly long talks finally got her graduated. Now she's a terrific mom and about to marry a fine man. First marriage was to a very unstable young man. There are more coming along so I'm pretty sure we aren't out of the woods as far as grands are concerned, Then there are the greats.....sigh.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I haven't commented about kids, because it's been so long since my own son was acting the way your DGK's are, but I feel the pain. I just have no words....
I remember Betty's distress over Noah when he was attacked, etc and what he went through before & after........I just have no words. It's more than sad or distressing - it's beyond belief.
Kids will do a lot to get by & somehow they do. Lots of times I just didn't want to know How they did it.

Betty - I used to sleep on an air mattress - 19" tall, and I was able to roll out of it, in the tent. It was plenty high enough, even with my bad knees, in fact it may have been better because I wasn't too high, dunno, cuz now we have our Winnebago and I have to clamber down out of it. Bob's ok, because of his height, but it's quite a drop for me.

Tomorrow we go to the County Meeting for them to decide if we can move our home into the community. Likely shouldn't be nervous, but I am. Meeting at 9am, and leaving Calgary with some current neighbours who are also moving to Torrington at 7:30. They're going to the meeting too. Bill says these meetings take about an hour.
The Smile Gang is going to take some of our outdoor furniture to Torrington so we can build, etc, with tables, BBQ. We have shared a ph# with a new neighbour (Michelle) and she will keep an eye on things. Oh gosh - so much to think of, and so much to do...... phew

No news from Murray .. don't know how to gauge that ..
I know Brooklyn has her car back with the proviso she pay the $120./month insurance
But, now she has no job ..
I try to keep my mind off the situation .. but .. if I had the chance I would tell her she is abusing MY child and I do not like it ONE BIT !!

Betty .. one more sleep .. please take care and ENJOY ..
Lorna and I will likely try o set up a coffee date with you at a Timmies .. easier for her with her walker and leg ..
We got the wedding invite today .. Oct.14 ..

Another busy flippin day .. out again tomorrow ..

HUGS to all of you for thoughts and shoulders ...

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

I'm so excited that we might meet..yippee

Had lots of company today, Don and Pat got back from Crete on Momday, Pat is doing her quilt and wanted to see how I was progressing with mine..then mom came, tomorrow morning we will go over the what if's, then SUZANNE dropped in..in between I finished my quilt.

Same "m" try to get it out of my mind but sometimes when I can't sleep mind is worrying.

Hope all goes ok Susan, that they approve your moving in..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Beautiful quilt Betty. Have a safe trip.

Up and at'em ..

Betty .. travel safe and enjoy your days ..

~M~

Verona, ON

Safe travels Betty.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thank you everyone, not leaving till later this afternoon..as soon as SUZANNE finishes what work she has then off we do..checked with the girls, they said bring air mattresses just incase...now how to find room

I'll be able to post photo's I'm sure

Enjoy your day

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Back home from the County Council meeting - we got approved - and our helper from the Smile Gang took out patio furniture so we're set to have a place to sit and eat out there. Just have to bring out the umbrella. Even my cement Owl is out there.
There were 3 homes looking for approval, all from Midfield. They talked about all the rules/regs at 1st home, then approved it. Said next two (mine and the 3rd) were same so didn't repeat rules/regs. Approved us, & 3rd, too.

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Great news, Susan! Now it's official!

I'm guessing Betty must be on her way by now. Hoping she has good weather, and a great time.

Deb

Good news Susan,,time is passing quickly :-)

Hope Betty puts some miles on today, and, that everyone keeps well.

TTFN

~M~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.