if you could recommed one rose

Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

Sitting outside when it is too hot to work gives time to plan for cooler weather and what I want to redo in the garden. One knockout rose needs to go but I would like to have a rose in that location. I live about 30 minutes from Antique Rose Emporium however I need to have something in mind or I get overwhelmed when i visit.If you could recommend one that does well for you in Texas I would appreciate it.
Here are the things I would like:
Most important-fragrance
Habit- right next to our patio,so easy to maintain in a bush like habit, doesn't get too tall and reach out to grab you. Prefer no more than 4-5 feet tall/wide
Color doesn't matter, though my husband prefers bright colors like red over white.
Any ideas?

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Hello There Teacup, good to hear from you.

Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

Is it as hot and miserable up in North Texas? If I don't get it done before 10:30 it doesn't get done

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Since it has been close to 100 degrees here for the last two weeks I think I can answer this. Also, this rose is available at Antique Rose Emporium. Yes! Here is the link:

https://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/roses/905/marie-pavie

Marie Pavie, a polyantha from 1888. I have had it for years. IT IS AMAZING! Continuous bloom. Maybe a day or two without flowers tops. And not one or two flowers. Dozens. Hundreds. Blooms in clusters, making deadheading easy. The scent is wonderful (I have two under my living room windows.) It is advertised as being thornless but does have minor thorns. Only about three feet tall. No disease. If you cut ALL the flowers off of it (I experimented with this once - it's in full bloom a week later). I don't water it, I don't treat it for disease. It has light pink flowers that turn white after a while, so if you look at it in the dark it glows.

I have two. I have other great roses like Stanwell Perpetual, Gruss an Aachen, Sea Foam. This is the best. Another to consider is its sport Marie Daly. Same lovely qualities, it's a pink Marie Pavie, and an Earth Kind rose, which means essentially that Marie Pavie is too.

My only problem is that I need to find a place to put another one.

Throw in some allium Chistophii (last photo) for a particularly fabulous effect.

Please have a look at it.

Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.