Stunted Sunflowers?

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm growing Mammoth Sunflowers that are supposed to be 9-12' tall, however they started opened up the flowers at 4 feet tall and the flowers are rather small at 4-5" across (they're supposed to be 12" across).

Pretty sure I got the right seeds, could the sunflowers be stunted? I started them in small 8 oz cups and transplanted them about 5 weeks later. All those time in the cups they didn't grow much until planted in the ground.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Season may have been late when you started, or too hot

Vaughan, ON

We do lots of platting , and sometime the best thing to do is dig a big hole put fresh soil them dig on the fresh soil 6 or 8 inch hole and replant your plant some time you plant on a hard soil where water is hard to reach the roots so we find this work for us for the past 5 years we been living in a farm try it out and let me know thank you.

Vaughan, ON

Try this bag is works amazing , some home depot dont have so check online before to head out, https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.compost-plus---30-litre.1000131951.html

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Cool... Thanks for all the great ideas! :) I'll try again.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

When you say Bay Area I think of cool weather. Maybe too cool for sunflowers....where did you get the seeds? If the temp is too low they may stay smaller but still be ok.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.