Growth on acer griseum

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I went out today to check on my favorite plant (it really is) looked up and was blown away. They say that this tree grows four inches a year. I never paid attention to the growth of my previous one, but there appears to be a foot of growth since this spring. OK, I keep it watered, and I gave it some Espoma tree stuff, but whoa!

I wonder if growth rates are given for trees with the assumption that you won't water or fertilize or prune them (all of which I did, because I fuss and fuss!)

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I also love Acer griseum - I have a few pretty tall ones, too.
Maybe 20yrs old or so.
I was particularly excited this spring to find 2 A griseum seedlings.
I've never seen a seedling before (I certainly see lots of other Acer seedlings!).
I'm not sure if I'll be able to nurture them to maturity, but I'll try.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Isn't it the best?

I still marvel that I walked into a garden center years ago to find a bunch of single stem ones in containers that were 5 feet high, and they had been marked down from $35 to $17.50 because they couldn't sell them. That one grew really fast, too.

I loved my single stem, and I love my multistem.

Finding a seedling is amazing. I know you are aware of the difficulties of germination. It sounds like you have a leg up. Congratulations!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from DonnaMack :
I wonder if growth rates are given for trees with the assumption that you won't water or fertilize or prune them (all of which I did, because I fuss and fuss!)

More likely based on trees growing in poor quality compacted soils. Looks like yours is growing in near-woodland conditions.

Resin

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I think you have a point. Besides the fussing, it is growing about 30 feet away from an enormous (at least 80 feet) maple that is probably protective at times. My first one was in hot, bright sun on a site that had been farmland, and very compacted, but I composted the soil for years before planting the tree.

Thank you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.