What animal takes soap from garden?

Victor, NY(Zone 6a)

I put out 1/4 bar chunks of soap (Irish Spring) to deter deer and squirrel 2 days ago under mulch. Yesterday the mulch by one plant had been dug up and the soap piece was gone. This morning 3 more pieces had been dug out of mulch and were gone. What animal steals soap?

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Mice and rats for sure. The German word for raccoon translates as "wash bear" 'cause they wash their kill but I don't think they bathe with soap. :>)

Thomaston, CT

Have been in Victor many times...my niece lives in Pittsford! I would suspect raccoons, or crows.....crows are awful thieves!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Crows are a possibility but not if the soap disappears at night.

Thomaston, CT

True.....woodchucks?

Victor, NY(Zone 6a)

Thank you for responses. By the digging I do not think it was field mice and never have seen a rat in the area we live. I have not seen evidence of raccoon in the area either. I have seen deer, squirrels, chipmunks, rabbit, fox, woodchucks, skunk, cats and I saw an opossum near the house last year. I poked holes in used k-cups, put soap pieces in them and attached them to stakes which I pounded into the ground near the plants. So far this seems to be working.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

A dirty one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.