Hooray for hellebores

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

I bought a few hellebores in the autumn and was slightly disappointed. Only one of them had flowered. Looked today and there were two in bud and two in flower. One of them is pink. It's nice to have flowers that blooom when the weather is drab and bleak.

I only have one that flowers so far - Helleborus viridis, the wild one (I rescued it from beside a tip). I don't like the pink-and-green or white-and-green ones, but you have to get close to admire the flowers when they're green like the leaves.

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

here is a link to some photos I took of Hellebores which are at the bottom of the page. I tried to cut and paste dirctly here but couldn't.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1389828&a=10396194&f=0&sp=1&vt=vpall

Aliso Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

Mark,

Nice photo of the violet colored hellebore. Wish we could get ones like that here in the States, but we'll just have to wait!

Mike

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

some companies over here sell seed that should give the colours you want. the seeds have to be sown while fresh out of the pod and dont do so well out of seed packets.

try http://www.ashwood-nurseries.co.uk/hellebore.htm

Peru, VT

WELL TO ALL YOU HELLEBORE GROWER S AT PRESENT WE ARE BEING BLESSED WITH WOHDERFUL DISPLAYS OF A WIDE VARIETY OG FLOWERS. BEING OUTR SPRING MASSES OF HELLEBORE SEEDLINGS ARE UNDER MOST PLANTS SO I AM REALLY BUSY MOVING THICKENED CLUMPS OF HELLEBORUS ORIENTALIS, H. FOETIDISSIMA AND A LITTLE LATER H. ARGUTIFOLIOUS.
A RECENT DISPLAY AND SALE OF PLANTS BY OUR SOUTH QAUSTRALIAN ENTHUSUAISTS ENABLED ME TO AQUIRE TREASURED SEEDLINGS OF DOUBLE WHITES, BLACK, A GOOD CLEAR YELLOW AND TOO MANY OTHER IRRESISTABLE PLANTS.
WE LIVE IN A REASONABLY HIGH RAINFALL, MEDITERRANEAN STYLE CLIMATE NO FROSTS, NO SNOW, LONG VERY HOT SUMMERS. WE HAVE ACID SOIL, LOTS OF SNAILS AND SLUGS.
WE GET LONG LASTING BLOOMS AND PRODIGIOUS SEEDS ON MOST HELLEBORES.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.