pineapple leaves turn brown in direct sunlight

Evanston, IL

I have been raising a pineapple plant for several years. It thrives indoors. I have a southern exposure so there is plenty of light year around. The trouble comes in summer when I try putting the plant outside where it gets full sun almost all day long. The leaves turn brown, to the point of looking burned.

Since the pineapple is a tropical plant I would expect it to tolerate, even to require direct sun. Since I am near Chicago, the sunlight doesn't compare to the tropical sun. Any thoughts?

Silver Spring, MD

I think your problem isn't just the sun.
I've had this very same issue with my pineapples and I think it is because (if it is hot and or bright) they have an increased need for water. If they don't get a little water each day (their roots are not terribly deep or efficient) it is probably better to put them in an area with less direct sun.

Bonita Springs, FL

Yellowing or searing leaves show one of a few issues on a pineapple plant. Overwatering, which can cause root decay, is normal, particularly in compartments. Brush the dirt away from the roots and search for soft, earthy colored roots. Permit the dirt to dry out and search for indications of new development. When root decay sets in, a pineapple plant has just a remote possibility of endurance.

Dry spell likewise causes yellowing and carmelizing departs, starting with the more established external leaves. Douse garden soil gradually until it is moist 6 inches down and water a pineapple in a pot until water spills out the channel openings.

Ice can harm a pineapple's leaves, making them become brown and shrink. Sanitize a nursery blade in an answer of 3 sections water and 1 section dye, drenching the sharp edge for five minutes. Wash it, dry it, then, at that point, use it to cut the harmed leaves close to the foundation of the pineapple plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.