Caring tips for Bristle Brush Cactus?

San Jose, CA

Hi everyone!

I recently bought this Bristle Brush Cactus (Mammilaria pilcayensis) for a class assignment (have to take care of a plant). I picked it up because I thought a cactus might be easy to take care of it, and I thought my location, sunny California, might be a good fit for it. I was immediately taken in by the web searched images of its blossoms-- such a cute ring of flower crown! So, although I go this cactus as an assignment, I really hope it'll live long past this class; I want to take good care of it and hopefully see it boom next year! I'm new to cactus caring so would love to receive some caring tips!

So far, I've read through this page http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/95804/ and looked around at some of the general info on this plant ... but I've never had a cactus before so am wondering if there's anything specific that I should keep in mind while caring for this fella?

I currently keep the cactus on my window sill, and my window is more or less northwest facing; I think it should receive enough sunlight? Also, I read that it needs to be protected from frost? What does that mean, exactly? What degree is that?

But oh, my main concern right now is if I should repot this fella? It looks kinda like a tight squeeze in the current plastic pot, but I have no idea if it really is? And I'm afraid of messing it up! Also, I'm not sure what type of soil to get for it? I read 'cactus soil mix' but... what exactly is it? Is it purchasable somewhere? Or do I have to mix it myself? I'm rather new to plant caring and feel like I'm fretting over everything!

Also... I'm thinking about getting another plant to go with it (if repotting), is that a good idea? What are some good companion plants for this cactus fella? Or should the cactus just remain solitary? By the way, the cactus is about 2 inches tall.

Any help would be much appreciated, and much thanks in advance!

Thumbnail by sidedish Thumbnail by sidedish
(Zone 5a)

I cannot answer all your questions, but do know you can purchase cactus soil mix; we got it at Lowe's. My children repotted the cactus they bought last fall and didn't put in enough soil, but they survive. I believe they are the Bristle Brush cactus. After repotting, they put little toys, rocks, snail shells in the posts. Turned out really cute.

Your climate is much different from mine, so I hope someone from your area will come by to answer your questions. What we do for our cactus here may kill yours. I do not want to steer you the wrong way with my advice.

I hope you do well with this and come to enjoy more houseplants. I know a bit how you feel, I worried so much about taking care of indoor plants. I used to kill every house plant I bought. Now I have several that I enjoy. My first success was a Christmas cactus. It is a very easy-going plant, handling being moved around to different rooms, living through long periods without water, never fertilizing, but give it a drink of cold coffee now and again. She prefers black. :)

San Jose, CA

Thanks for responding, very much appreciated!

Ohhh, gotcha! I'll check out Lowe's again; I actually got this cactus there! And, on repotting-- did you waited until the cactus grew to a certain size before repotting (does that matter)? And the decorations your children put in with the plant sounds really creative & cute :)! Do you mind sharing pics..?

And thanks for the encouraging words! I hope this cactus will do well; I really want to see this fella blossom...! And same... my previous plants all didn't live too long, so I'm worried... :( But, a cactus seems easy enough to take care of, I hope, hahah!

Also, I just looked up the Christmas cactus, since I've never heard of it, it looks really interesting! And coffee?! Why's that?? How interesting! :0

(Zone 5a)

I use the coffee as a fertilizer, but not many plants can tolerate it because of the acid. I am sure I do not do this more than three times a year. It is not often I do not finish the pot myself.

The cactus were repotted the day we brought them home. I only found one picture (I have others, just need to find them), this is was an earlier one. I do not know the variety.

One of my early attempts at cactus was a failure, likely not enough light and too much water.

I just did a quick search and found this, maybe it will answer some of your questions.
http://www.csssj.org/welcome_visitors/basic_culture.html

If no one replies here, call or walk in to a locally owned nursery. Lowe's staff knows a little, but they do not seem to have the time or knowledge to answer the detailed questions. I was just on the phone with someone today who spent a lot of time with me, giving advice to improve my garden. He doesn't always have the types of plants I want, but I still want to support his business, so will try to purchase something from him now and again. I have a Prayer Plant from him that is doing beautifully... I've kept it alive and happy for about nine months. I just needed it to survive the winter and now I have more confidence to try more things.

Thumbnail by Chillybean
San Jose, CA

Ohhh, I see! That's really interesting; I didn't know coffee can be used as a fertilizer, hmn! And thanks for sharing your cactus photo! I like how the baby toy is sitting on top hahha... By the way, how long have you had your cactus? Has it bloomed before?

Ahhh yeah... light and water, they can be very tricky to gauge sometime...

Sweet! Thanks so much for the link; they had a lot of helpful info! I didn't know there was a Cactus & Succulent Society in this area...! How interesting! Maybe I'll try to attend one of their meetings and see how that goes :)

Thanks a lot for your advices! And I searched up how the prayer plant looks like- and wow, the venation is really unique and beautiful! I hope he'll do well through the winter too :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.