Sea Holly \"Neptune Gold\"

(Zone 4b)

I really enjoy seeing Eryngium in our garden. That steely blue is striking. I know some varieties flop but there are others that are pretty sturdy (eg "Big Blue").

Today I picked up an interesting newer one called "Neptune's Gold".

It was available last year. Just wondering if any of you guys or gals have it in your garden.

Which Eryngium do you have?

Thumbnail by rouge21
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I love eryngium, too, esp Big Blue. The chartreuse foliage combo sounds like a knock out, though the flowers of Big Blue are held so high above the foliage, it might diminish the contrast. Still sounds like it could be a great plant. I haven't seen it before. I'll be eager to hear how it performs for you.

(Zone 4b)

Quote from Weerobin :
I'll be eager to hear how it performs for you.

For sure I will let you know 'robin.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Here's my Big Blue from last year. Looks a little prehistoric/scary.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Very nice! I haven't seen that one but they don't carry Eryngium around here typically. Looking forward to your pictures in bloom!

(Zone 4b)

Perfect picture 'robin!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

This is a little off topic, but your golden foliaged eryngium contrasting with bright blue flowers reminded me of my golden caryopteris which sets off the blue flowers beautifully also. It has been a good grower for me.
C incana Sunshine Blue

Thumbnail by Weerobin
(Zone 4b)

Good connection 'robin and great picture.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I had a nice sized Sunshine Blue until we had a late frost this spring and it up and died on me just like that!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Those darn late frosts are terrible. Our area is really prone to them (or maybe everyone in America is told that?) At any rate, I've lost hosts of plants that way - I feel your pain.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks, I thought it was a little tougher. I haven't dug it up yet so maybe something will return. Sorry for the hijack, rouge.
I did pick up a variegated Eryngium last fall. You ever get those plants that look healthy enough at the store and as soon as they enter your yard, they just wilt and die?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.