CLOSED: Bird ID in Texas

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

These birds were photographed a couple of days ago from a bird blind at Transition Ranch, a ranch in Texas between Bracketville and Uvalde as on the map in the first photo. I would appreciate some help to ID them. ---Patti

The first three birds might be young Verdin? There was an adult Verdin in the area.

Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens
(Zone 5a)

These photos have been bothering me. :) I found juvenile Verdins with the hint of yellow around the eyes, but none with such a yellow gape, but that is the closest match I could find, so you likely are correct.

Now that sparrow!!! Oh that gave me the fits, but I knew it was a sparrow based on that bill. I tried using What Bird's search, but they didn't have anything close. Somehow with that distinct tail, I was able to figure it out. A juvenile or immature Black-throated Sparrow.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh my gosh! Thanks so much Chilly! You have gone over and above and are much appreciated. Black-throated makes sense. There were a bunch of the adults out there.
The youngsters are so hard to ID, but I do think they must be Verdin.

(Zone 5a)

We are in the middle of the breeding bird doldrums, not a lot new, so I thought to see if I could ID these. Maybe if I ever go to Texas, I'll know some of your birds. There are some really neat ones there.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

We do have a bunch of different birds throughout the state.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.