Shady locales

(Zone 4b)

I especially enjoy these areas this time of year as with the expected moisture all looks so lush.

Thumbnail by rouge21 Thumbnail by rouge21 Thumbnail by rouge21 Thumbnail by rouge21
Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I really like hostas also. Here are a couple of night photos. I try and take day pics tomorrow.

Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding
Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Lovely!

(Zone 4b)

Thank you Pistil.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

I am trying to fill my wooded area with Hostas

Thumbnail by katgroves Thumbnail by katgroves Thumbnail by katgroves Thumbnail by katgroves Thumbnail by katgroves
Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

More of mine

Thumbnail by katgroves Thumbnail by katgroves Thumbnail by katgroves
Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm hoping for rain here, but I always love the shady spots.

Thumbnail by back40bean Thumbnail by back40bean
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Are those arisaema's in the first picture? Those leaves look huge!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

They really love it there. They generally do well here, seeding themselves around and looking healthy but this seems to be the spot for them. The shorter one in front is Aresema ringens, which I planted early Spring. I didn't mean to plant it on top of the triphyllum and I'll move it in the Fall so that they can each have their space.

(Zone 4b)

Aruncus "Horatio" in bloom with Rodgersia "Bronze Peacock"

Thumbnail by rouge21 Thumbnail by rouge21
Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

I love the Aruncus and the two make me want to pause and relax as I stop to take note.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I love the big aruncus's (not sure how you make aruncus pleural?)
There have been lots of little guys introduced to tame the wild big aruncus to fit more modern gardens. But those big bold flowers are great.
I've posted these before, so sorry if duplicating, but my wife & I ran across this imposing street planting of aruncus dioicus a few years ago in Iceland. The 2nd picture is the comparatively tiny A aethusifolius in my yard. Somehow lacks the grandeur of the former.

[[ I see the A aethusifolius picture loaded sideways.
I've seen plenty of other people's posts coming sideways,
but never happened to me. I heard it was due to downloading from I-phone.
But these are both from stored pictures on my hard-drive.
Don't know how it happened or how to prevent it next time! ]]

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

Here is a better picture of the hostas.

Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding
(Zone 4b)

I see 'weeding' that you have ID tags in your garden. I am impressed!

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Yes on those name tags - wish I knew the names of just half of my hostas. Time passes and we forget their names.

I like the offbeat unique plants posted above. I may have to check some of those out further.

Photo # 1 - Here is a hosta I don't forget the name of - Sum and Substance
Photo # 2 - is some lamium that planted itself in the tree we have the hammock hanging from.

Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654
(Zone 4b)

Below is a current picture of the same Rodgersia that appears in the June 23 post above. The flowers for this plant are so long lasting (a month). This coupled with the foliage makes it an excellent addition to a shade garden.

Thumbnail by rouge21
(Zone 4b)

Weerobin, for our Aruncus "Horatio" I am always pleasantly surprised that the foliage color is so excellent come Fall as it turn a translucent yellow. Do any of yours do similarly?

This message was edited Jul 20, 2016 8:21 PM

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm embarrassed to say I haven't noticed it. I'll try to pay attention this fall.

I have two newly planted Rodgersia's but neither has been able to establish because of relentless wildlife attacks. Found one of them last weekend disinterred yet again. I have dutily replanted him, but not ideal planting conditions being in the midst of our annual 'excessive heat warnings' which won't expire until this coming weekend. It's a tough world out there!

(Zone 4b)

Finally I have some blooming ligularias. (I could 'afford' the water to keep these 2 in good health but two more further way have melted away to almost nothing.)

Thumbnail by rouge21
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

They look great. Mine are already done for the year.
But you're right, those ligs sure love water.
Your whole garden looks great.

(Zone 4b)

For sure thanks 'robin.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I was looking at one of my ligularias this afternoon. He looks just pitiful. We're experiencing a lovely summer afternoon w/ temp 98 and humidity to match. My poor ligularia isn't happy. He'll pout for the rest of the summer but will bounce back next spring.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Tell me more about the ligs.

Weerobin - Is it the excruciating heat that does them in this time of year for you, or is it the lack of moisture? You are closer to my zone.

rouge21 - Your garden is AWESOME with the ligs. How long will the blooms last on the ligs for you?

How did you get your start? I'm not familiar with them at all. I could possibly irrigate them from a farm pond if water is what they want.

I just really like they way the look and I have seen picture of them before.

Should I try them or should I not??? The big question. . . . .

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

They're pretty big plants, not fussy, but definitely like to be kept moist.
I have some in nearly full shade which never wilt.
But a couple are in a location which gets some afternoon sun
- they wilt just like a hydrangea will wilt.
Generally bounce back by morning,
but they can look pretty pitiful mid afternoon.
I think mine with more sun bloom better,
though those in shade bloom OK.
So it's a trade-off, better bloom, wiltier foliage.
That mythical 'morning sun, afternoon shade w/ moist soil'
would be ideal.
Several varieties with different leaf textures, though all are big/bold.
Different shaped blooms also.
Definitely worth trying a couple of them.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Weerobin - I like your advice. The one I had recently looked at was something, "Rocket". What do you think - without me Googling - A perennial? A bulb? You think I could plant in the fall? I think I have the right spot. . . . .

Thanks!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

It's a perennial. Should do fine planted in fall.
Here's a picture of a beauty by Growin
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/321687/

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Thank you

Weerobin - I'll be on the lookout for "The Rocket" Leopard Plant.

(Zone 4b)

'brenda', by coincidence I came across this impressive stand of ligularia situated beside the hotel. Including the flower stalk they are over 6 feet tall!

Thumbnail by rouge21
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Wow, a lig on steroids! Very impressive!

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Quote from rouge21 :
'brenda', by coincidence I came across this impressive stand of ligularia situated beside the hotel. Including the flower stalk they are over 6 feet tall!

Those are definitely "Knock Your Socks Off" Impressive! I like the black stems,too - which really shows in that picture. After seeing that picture, I am already mentally moving the ones I do not have to the opposite side of the road. I want a good full view of them when they look like that. Wishful thinking!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.