My First Tomato

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

This is the first tomato of the season. Well maybe not the first. I did find 2 yellow cherry tomatoes that never made it to the house. LOL!

Thumbnail by weeding
Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Fantastic what kind is it?

Gosh! I thought I had put down the name. It's Golden Queen, one of my favorite yellows.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

That's one of my favorites too. What other varieties are you growing?

I am not growing what I listed in one of my other post. Most of my seedlings died so I had to go to HD and buy some. I am growing
Golden Lady
Lemon Boy
Heinz 57
Black Prince
Cherokee Purple
Blue Tomato
Watermelon Beefsteak
Mr. Stripey
Bush Goliath
German Queen
Yellow Cherry
Red Currant
Dwarf Yellow
Giant Pink Oxheart

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Pretty tomato. I'm still weeks away from picking my tomatoes which are growing about 100 miles north of you. The altitude is higher and almost ten degrees cooler most of the time. Mine were all started from seed. As usual, Sungold and Yellow Pear will probably be first. I planted the last slow pokes this past weekend. Just began planting peppers last week and will plant the rest this weekend.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

In an effort to have some fresh tomatoes in the winter, last November I planted seeds of a patio variety ('House Tomato' from J.L.Hudson) in a 6" pot and stuck it in a south window. It took a while (lots of cloudy winter days) but 140 days later I finally had enough for a salad. Taste is ok, not great, and ditto the production. Grew about a foot higher indoors than it did outdoors last summer. Next year I'll try a different variety.

Thumbnail by DonShirer Thumbnail by DonShirer
Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Well, Don, I have to applaud your efforts and your patience too! Sometimes we tomato lovers do anything to try to get a good tomato.

After an warm early spring, Mother Nature decided to give us some cooler temperatures and loads of rain lately. Fortunately the warm temps gave me time to get the garden ready to plant in mid-April, right on schedule. So the rains are welcome right now. I just hope the heavy rain doesn't cause a lot of early blight. Most of the plants are looking pretty good so far and I even saw a few blooms the other day. So if the cooler temps this week don't slow things down, maybe we'll be ok. Okra was up about an inch out of the ground.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Too early here to plant much. We've had over 10 inches of rain this past week. Lots of areas are flooded. All rivers including the Mississippi is cresting and over the top. Lakes are going over dams.
I digress. I usually put in our tomatoes (from seed) the first week of May, but will have to wait another week perhaps. I have them ready to go in the house. I also have some Anaheim Peppers (favorites) and Marconi peppers ready to go also. Haven't even thought about okra although I have the seed. Temperatures today aren't supposed to reach 60*. It's overcast and windy.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I was thinking exactly what OP posted. Can't keep a good gardener down; not even in New England. Five stars for stick-to-it-ivness, Don.

We've been hot (80's) and, after a rainstorm that caught and soaked me in the middle of a food donation recovery, now cool (60's). I've learned not to rush the season with peppers and tomatoes and even more so with eggplants and okra. Eggplant planted to early will not recover. We have plenty of greens and radishes for spring.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Quote from MaypopLaurel :
Pretty tomato. I'm still weeks away from picking my tomatoes which are growing about 100 miles north of you. The altitude is higher and almost ten degrees cooler most of the time. Mine were all started from seed. As usual, Sungold and Yellow Pear will probably be first. I planted the last slow pokes this past weekend. Just began planting peppers last week and will plant the rest this weekend.

I won't be planting my tomato seedlings until this weekend if it clears up. It is raining now. Even though I am in zone 8, our last frost is usually May 15th. Nevertheless, they are on the back porch now, so if we have a frost, I can cover them. They are soon to be planted.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

My last frost date is April 15 and I'm in zone 6. Weird!

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

I guess that it is a local anomaly. It hasn't "snowed on the dogwood", but the dogwoods are in bloom, so it would probably be OK .All the old timers" say to wait until it has "snowed on the dogwood", which they mean that the dogwood must be in bloom, and we do get late frost and snow in our area. It can come without warning.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi birder17 I am in zone 6 and I planted out my Tomato plants in E Buckets about 2 weeks ago.I started them from seeds at the end of January and they are doing fine .I am in the Caribbean for emergency and hubby is taking care of them until I return.

I don't have tomatoes yet for this year. The first post was from last year. I would say my gardening is official this year, I saw my first snake today. It was a rat snake about 3 feet long.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

We have our tomato plants planted. We also started ours from seed. That way you get the tomatoes you want. :) What did you plant this year? Is it the same from year to year? We planted: Cherokee Purple, Gold Medal, Kellog's Breakfast, Mandoian Green, Sun Gold Cherry Tomato and Stupice. The latter is supposed to put on tomatoes earlier. They are all Heirloom tomatoes unless the Sun Gold isn't.
Can't wait for our first tomato form our gardens.
On a side note, we have our okra planted. I put Nasturtium seeds in front of the okra this year. I believe it was Maypop that said Aphids don't like nasturtiums. We get a lot of aphids on our okra plants so am anxious to see if this will help.

All veggies that we are going to plant this year are in the ground. Besides okra and tomatoes (hmm, doesn't that sound good:), we have zucchini squash, Waltham Butternut Squash (heirloom and heavy producer), Peppers: Jalapeno, Anaheim, Big Bertha, Carmen Red, and a pepper that was just called Orange. The latter two are those small very sweet peppers you can get in the stores all winter long. Anaheim is a my favorite for Mexican dishes. It has jsut the right amount of heat and you don't have to take out the seeds, just chop them up. I bought the Jalapeno to make hot pepper jelly. It will be my very first attempt at making jelly. Years ago I used to make freezer jam but quit due to "too much" sugar in the jelly.
:(
We picked our first batch of sugar snap peas yesterday. What a pathetic, dinky amount they produced. I'm not sure why. I planted them early. We had some really warm weather in February: 80's, then cold weather in March and April, and lots of rain (flooding big time in area) in last of April and first of May. So, I'm not sure what the heck happened. I thought sugar snap peas liked cool weather. This is the first time I have tried them. I'm not sure I will try again. Too much work for such little produce. :(
cytf: Emergency in Caribbean. that doesn't sound good. Hope all is well.

I planted Big Boy , Bush Tomato , Tomato on the Vine ,Grape tomato, Rutgers Heirloom, and Steak tomato . I have 2 Okra plants under the grow light and its bearing already but I am waiting for the days above 75 to start hardening them off before I plant them outdoors. I also planted Tuscan Kale , Bertha Peppers, Red and Yellow Hot Caribbean Peppers , Pimento Peppers and Eggplants. Yes my emergency is that one of my nephews was critical and he passed away on Friday and we had the funeral arrangements today and I am returning on Tuesday.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

So very sad and so very sorry for your family's loss.

Hi birder17,Thank you for the condolenses.My garden is happy to have me home .lol

I don't have as many different as usual. The picture is tumbling tom. It has had some better days. I planted:
purple calabash
cherokee purple
golden queen
black cherry
beefsteak
Tumbling Tom Yellow tomato

Thumbnail by weeding

HI weeding that's nice crop of tomatoes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.