What Viburnum?

East Bridgewater, MA

Viburnums stink - this one smelled like rotting flesh. The ones we planted are almost as bad. VV, how can you love this stuff?

This is too big for arrowwood - what is it? By the way the last pick is a separate individual than the first 4 picks.

Seen in the same wet marshland as my other posts.

Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

The bee in the first pic mocks your olfactory nonsense.

Every bird who will devour the fruit formed from the bee's pollination hopes you fall in and get stuck in that same wet marshland.

All the leaf peepers and bird watchers will overlook or dismiss your cries for help, instead enamored of the rich reds, purples, and orange-yellow hues brilliantly displayed.

Meanwhile, the Viburnum dentatum will continue to thrive (to 10-12 feet!) along with its marsh brethren like Clethra alnifolia, Ilex verticillata, Nyssa sylvatica, and wet acid sandy loam friends.

I can't imagine why you cannot have too many Viburnums...

East Bridgewater, MA

My wife hates the ones we planted too. The odor wafts into the living room while I watch the Red Sox!

I'm pretty sure it's the Sox you smell...

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

good one ...

Edited to add there are few smells better than a blooming V carlesii announcing spring has arrived!

This message was edited Jun 7, 2016 7:13 AM

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

That was a great exchange, guys. Made my day!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

It was not the sox - they are in first place. neefman needs to move the offenders and bring in a sweet smelling variety.

Gosh - Northeasterners cannot let go of the past.

Despite Carlton Fisk's heroics, the Big Red Machine stilled mowed 'em down in 1975 - no doubt the greatest Series in my lifetime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_World_Series

We don't even get any credit for spanking the Yankees in four straight in 1976 AND 1990...

Agree with friendly fragrant forms, but please don't destroy those great plants that contribute so much to the community you live in.

East Bridgewater, MA

All kidding aside I would never destroy the viburnums. They stick for a week or two and then don't bother anyone. I just know it would push VVs buttons.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

VV has buttons?

Yeah, buttons - the really big ones for people with poor vision - that you couldn't miss (like the broad side of a barn).

I really relished (along with big ol' stadium 'dog) the opportunity to wrap in some of the national pastime...

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

"mowed them down"? 7 games and all anyone remembers is Fisk unless you are a real fan then Bernie Carbo means something.

Because everyone thought that only Boston could win after that...

Bernie Carbo = former Cincinnati Reds first round draft pick and outfielder.

Keep your chin up - at least the Sox haven't stunk it up for the past 25 years...

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Building a berm in the back near pond/wet land and will be filling it with viburnum:) too wet for the forsythia my wife wanted.

Don't forget some of those great Winterberry selections (says the Immediate Past President, Holly Society of America) - they'd love it there.

Also looking for some new Trustees...

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

I do have some winterberry from the valle that could be relocated.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I reeaaally need to find some southern viburnums, I suspect Big Bend is a bit too far south for any, tho. I do however remember 76, but not for ballgames- more for my 4yr old daughter. Oh, and laughing at Cowboys and gaspump jokes...

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

According to the youthful scribble committed on the Sox banner that hangs in the office of a Boston born and raised child (now my SO) Sox don't stink. Sox "suck!" They let him down again and again 'til he never forgave them. Give John credit. The man knows baseball and viburnums.

Viburnum dentatum Bill Buckner™...

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I need one named Judge Roy Bean...

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Dave Stapleton should have been in the game then. Leave poor Buckner out of it.

East Bridgewater, MA

Wow! This post took on a life of it's own!

3 world series cures old wounds. I just wanted one before I died now I have at least three.

Back to viburnums then.

You can grow a great many members of this genus in your benign climate and productive soils.

Siting for all a plant's aspects is important.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.