Any Sedge Experts Here?

(Zone 5a)

I am assuming these are not regular grass if I remember, the flowering stems had edges. The flowers are a bit smaller than what the photos show, but I made them large enough to show detail.

#1. Just next to the gravel road, fairly dry area. Mostly sunny. The flowering stems 2 feet or less.
#2. Next to the drain pipe that goes under our driveway. I'd call it part shade. Three feet maximum. I have a picture of the entire clump if you think it will help. I want more of this stuff if it can grow in the middle of creeping charlie.
#3. In the yard, north side of house, but out a little ways... maybe part shade. Flowering stem, about two feet.

Thank you for any help in learning who these are.

Thumbnail by Chillybean Thumbnail by Chillybean Thumbnail by Chillybean
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I think the first and third pics are certainly sedges (Carex sp.), but not sure about the second one.

Yes - more pictures of each plant will help. It would help to group the photos of all of one plant at a time. You might even start a new thread for each one, if you want.

(Zone 5a)

I will stick to this thread to save time. Number one will not have any noticeable leaves because I was weeding when I found it, all tall stuff was cut down except for this because it was clearly different from the normal grasses.

Here is the one other picture I have of number two. Looks like most other grass clumps I see.

Thumbnail by Chillybean
(Zone 5a)

While searching for something else, I ran into a website of the grasses, sedges and flowers of Kansas, a neighbor of mine. :D Beautifully put together site where I could scan the little thumbnails for anything that looks like what I have. So... if I have these figured out:
#1. Southern Sedge Carex austrina
#2. Common Wood Sedge Carex blanda
#3. Troublesome Sedge Carex molesta

What is funny is we planted ten Troublesome Sedges in our front yard last Saturday! It's nice to know it already grows here.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

I have Carex grayi and it looks a lot like what you're showing.

(Zone 5a)

This is Gray's Sedge...
http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/grasses/plants/gray_sedge.htm

I planted dormant bare roots of the Carex grayi last fall, but they didn't make it. I wanted it specifically for that really neat seedhead, so ruled that one out already.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Okie doke. Gran's Sedge is striking for that very reason.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Gray's Sedge, that is.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I think 1 and 3 are genus Carex about as far as I would go without them in my hand. maybe #2 is too.
I had not seen the first post so this is a duplicate.

This message was edited Jul 15, 2016 3:09 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.