June 2016 - Enjoying Outdoors

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Gardening outdoors during the long daylight hours as we draw near to the 1st day of summer. I can't wait to start eating an abundance of home grown tomatoes surrounded by blooms galore.

Thumbnail by greenbrain
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

greenbrain - YES! YES! YES! Fresh tomatoes from the garden ♥ ♥ ♥ - me too.

Pretty!! Looks like an "Annabelle hydrangea"? If so, they originated here in Anna, Illinois and our town is getting ready to have their 3rd Annabelle Fest on the 11th of June. The Annabelle was originally found growing in the woods. The local garden club sells Annabelle's as one of their fundraisers and more importantly to let people know that they originated in the town of Anna.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I did not know that about the hydrangeas! Seriously Brenda, I am so glad that you told me, I love my Annabelle hydrangeas. This one came from Moonshine Design Nursery, Milan, IL.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Let me share the Legend of the Annabelle:

The Legend of the Annabelle Hydrangea
Although everyone agrees the “Annabelle” was discovered in Anna, Illinois, there are several variations on the story. It seems that all aspects are likely true and are combined in the following story:
It is said that Harriet Kirkpatrick, of the famous Anna Pottery family, discovered the beautiful hydrangeas in 1910 while riding her horse in the woods near Anna. She and Amy Kirkpatrick went back and dug up some of the plants and took them home to put in the family’s yard. The Kirkpatrick family generously shared the plant with friends and neighbors.
About 50 years later, Bon Hartline of Anna, who is probably best known for his collection of 100 genera of American hybrid holly shrubs and trees, became interested in the “Annabelle”. He invited his former University of Illinois professor, Dr. J. C. McDaniel, to visit Anna to study the plant.
Dr. McDaniel classified and registered it as “Hydrangea arborescence” in 1960. It is said that he originally gave it the common name of “Ballerina” because of the flower’s very round shape. However, it is thought the name “Annabelle” was chosen for the two “belles” from Anna who discovered the beautiful plant 100 years ago!
The native shrub Hydrangea arborescens ‘Annabelle’ grows wild in partly shady and moist soils in southern Illinois. It grows 4 feet tall and blooms from early to late summer. It has extremely large white flowers with dark green foliage.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

That's my beauty. Thank you.

Thumbnail by greenbrain
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

My daughter agrees that we need to have a round up in Anna, IL.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.