Mandevilla not blooming after storage NY

Roslyn, United States

I had two red mandevillas (not sure what species) stored in my NY garage over the winter. It lost a few leaves but I repotted them and its very green with new growth as well as old, but no signs of buds at all. Thoughts?

Roslyn, United States

Sorry can't turn the photo around

Thumbnail by joelcoqui
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

It takes time to put buds on. Have you got it in full sun yet? Mine usually takes a few weeks after moving it outdoors to get acclimated and start putting on new growth and then buds.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

I'm amazed that you managed to hold it over through winter. I haven't had the greatest experience with that. Give it time on the bloom - that's, a big mandivilla. Try giving it some liquid bloom fertilizer water. Plus they like sun.

Quote from brendak654 :
I'm amazed that you managed to hold it over through winter. I haven't had the greatest experience with that. Give it time on the bloom - that's, a big mandivilla. Try giving it some liquid bloom fertilizer water. Plus they like sun.

I put mine under lights in winter and water lightly while indoors. I think it has been through 3 winters now. They do love full sun. This is Stars and Stripes. These are some photos from the past two years.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

GA - Thanks for the info on how you winter over your mandavilla. Come spring, when and how do you aclimate it back into the great outdoors? Love the Stars & Stripes. I have not seen that one. I would probably have some if I could winter them over - just don't like paying near $20 for a nice annual plant each year.

Unfortunately mine is still in the basement. I was hoping to move it out today. I move all the plants under shade for a week or two and then start moving them to more and more sun (depending on the plant). Mandevilla gets full sun almost all day long when I do move it out from the shade.

I hear you on paying that much when it ends up being an annual most years. I had Alice Dupont a couple of times and a smaller red flowering Dipladenia. I was probably overwatering those earlier attempts when they were indoors for winter. Vines are kind of a pain to overwinter as well.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

GA - Thanks for your when and how on the mandeilla.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I've got a three year old Sun Parasol (red) that came in a one gal. pot by way of a Home Depot clearance table for $2.50. It winters in a south facing window at our cottage. The heat is set to 45 degrees when we are not here. It goes for up to six weeks with no water but is in a pot with a reservoir. It does drop a boat load of leaves when left thirsty for long periods but not with lasting effect. It usually blooms indoors and sets seed (see photo #2). The seeds are viable but don't know how true. Like hcmcdole, mine goes out in relative shade but is in full sun the following week. I trimmed it severely about a month ago and then unpotted it and took a sheet rock saw to the roots. It's now repotted with slow release plant food. You would not guess the plant had gone through such extreme surgery. No shock. In fact, I did the deed and put it right in the planter in full sun! Apparently happy, with room to roam, it's blooming earlier and covered in buds, than when I just set it out and feed it. I was nervous about cutting away the amount of roots and food storage tubers below but it was terribly root bound. I'm guessing these are so vigorous they would benefit from root pruning, not potting up, every other year.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Maypop - Thanks for that input on your mandavilla. I'm amazed at such a large beautiful plant in such a small planter. Those seedpods are also interesting. It sure looks happy and there in the background is that beautiful hyacinth bean entrance arbor I was admiring just minutes ago. I'm convinced and will keep my eye out for one of those bargain clearance finds and give it or them another try.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Brenda, I love your zinnia! They are flower features in my vegetable kitchen garden. So attractive to bees, wasps, hummers, moths and butterflies. We have buquets in the house all summer. Mine are just know opening flowers.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Thank you - that is a prior year picture. As of now I only have 5 volunteers in the South Veggie Garden.

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

check to make sure it is not drying out since in natural environment it blooms in wet season, next try giving it a teaspoon of Epsom salts dissolved in a quart of water and then provide a blooming fertilizer slow release as per direction
often plants need encouragement to go back into producing blooms after repotting or storage

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.