Why are tomatoes wilting?

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

My Anna Russian tomatoes have a serious case of wilting. The other tomatoes right beside are fine. I can't find any bugs and I feed them just like the rest. All the other tomatoes look good with the exception of one San Marzano all the way on the other end of the row. Can someone tell me what is going on?? I did find some Colorado potato beetles on a different tomato, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. HELP!! The first picture is the Anna Russian and the second is the San Marzano. Thanks!!

Thumbnail by Ruth Thumbnail by Ruth
Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Is there a chance they could have been hit by weed killer?

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

No chance at all. They are all in a high tunnel and the Anna Russians are on the inside row. They are the only variety that is wilting like that. This is the first time I have planted these and I thought they would snap out of it, but it just keeps getting worse.

I wish I could help you. The wilting looks familiar but.....you might have better luck on the Veggie Forum, it gets more traffic. Here is a link http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/yumyum/all/
Good Luck!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Did you use some fertilizer or hay or straw? Sometimes these "end" results have herbicide the farmer/grower used and then, you put it on your garden.

I thought abt that but I think it would effect more then one variety....

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I missed the part that said all the others were doing well.
If it were me, I'd yank them out and put other tomatoes there or try some different Plants. There's still time to get tomatoes going.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I responded to this on your other thread.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I have one tomato that wilts a lot, even a day after rain. I water it and it perks up. I don't know why it wilts so much. I just seem to have to water more than the others.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I find those kinds of plants too much trouble. There's a lot of tomatoes out there that perform well, and the fruits are delicious.

Vista, CA

We are growing several kinds of Russian heirlooms....cultivated in Siberia and South Urals regions near the top of the world. These were grown there over decades where they were adapted to short growing seasons. not much direct sunlight …days cloudy...soil not very warm. Apparently these were grown from seed mailed by connections in colder parts of the Ukraine or Turkey and were developed in Siberia region since the 1950s. Seeds from these northern Siberian varieties then made there way to U.S.A. from Russian-emigres who traded with Amish communities in Pennsylvania/New York.

We are growing these unique tomato plants hydroponically using Tapla method. We use 10 Gallon Plastic Nursery Pots.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1073399/?hl=

Here in Southern Calif SD near the Coast temperatures sometimes in the present-era weather exceeds 90-degF fr

This kind of heat causes Siberian tomatoes to wilt....If they were not staked..they would lay down on soil at the top. , I think….at dawn when temps are near the day low..(sub 70F-degree) the slender stems are again fully supporting the skinny branches

I came to this forum..to try to understand why the frail vines were so right in most ways including productiveness, yet vines not adequate or support and also not the rich green of most French, Mediterranean, Ukrainian,etc.tomato kinds..

Your posted image along with Doctor Tapla’s explanation (foregoing link) of how the effects of temperature on the soluble and insoluble nutrient balances are affected…turned on the light. I appreciate and comprehend and though, the details Dr. Tapla discussion are rich. I can barely wrap my head around the excellent detail he devotes to the calculus. Yet what can be reached before my brain gets tired holds true.

Began growing tomatoes successfully when I was 6-years of age — over 69 years ago…some things about tomato growing have become intuitive!

Thank You for your post. and Please don't give up. There are some gems in this group. Be sure to save seed. it is a true heirloom..and hard to find reliable seeds because of the rarity and desirability.;

This message was edited Jul 27, 2016 12:59 AM

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

I don't think I will plant Anna Russians again. Maybe they aren't cut out to be in the high tunnel, but they never did look healthy and as for the fruits, just when they were starting to turn pink, they either cracked or rotted before I got a chance to pick them. They are not worth the trouble to me. All of the other varieties, San Marzano, Rutgers, Heat Wave, Green Zebras, etc. did wonderfully well.

Thank you for posting a follow up. I'm sorry they didn't do better but thank you for letting us know.

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

If this happens again with one variety, I will take birder17's advice and yank them out and plant something else in that spot. They were a total disappointment. I will stick to the old standby's next year. The description in the catalog sounded so good......

I have a friend on the coast of SoCal that loves them. But the temps there are cool and don't vary much all yr long. Strangely he's in zone 10a bc it doesn't freeze.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.