Orchard Oriole (Icterus spurius)

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Thumbnail by brendak654
(Zone 5a)

I like your Oriole feeder. :) I enjoy feeding the birds, but somehow find more satisfaction at seeing them use the natural food sources that I grow.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Oh me too Chillybean. I so enjoyed them feeding on the red hot pokers that I have gone out of my way to find more plants to plant. Just planted two more pokers this morn and now I have two more to plant. I want them close to the house so I can be sure and watch the orioles & hummers on them. I don't know if there are any other birds that feed on their nectar or not? I should have quite the smorgasbord for them next year. I'm trying to leave the ugly seed stalk on my pokers as another means of having more, but that stalk is so ugly among the other blooming flowers.

I'm waiting on a cool off and my second wind - lots to do out there.

Keep Gardening!

(Zone 5a)

Last year I began collecting seeds from various flowers around my property, so watched the flowers change to seed heads. There is kind of an ugly stage with the brown petals and such, but I find the seed heads/pods have their own type of beauty.

Maybe take pictures as they change to the pods. I'm curious to see them. They're not like birds, so won't fly away just when you're ready to push the button. :)

Oh my, yes!! I need a cool down before I feel like going out again. I have more work to prepare for more plants I hope to get next week. I am afraid to look at the veggie gardens.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Here we go - pictures of the pokers going to seed. Well maybe not, they don't seem to want to load. Just a good thought - I guess.

I do a lot of seed saving. Lately, I've been working with poppies and I need to go gather some of my ice poppy seed heads and some cornflowers before I forget. See just talking about something helps jog the memory - thanks!

I'm again in my cool down mode. My hubby worked my Wetland Garden area with the tractor and he has it ready to plant (which is my job). So maybe I'm not only in the cool down mode, but the rest up mode too.

Enjoy your day.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.