Oh my! What should I do about this Knock Out rose bush ?

Braceville, IL

Something started nibbling away at this a couple of weeks ago. I worked some Ortho RosePride (fertilizer & insect protector) into the soil around the bottom soil. Prior to doing this, there was no flowers, buds, and most all the leaves were decimated. I had been out of town for 10 days, and came home to find them a wreck. Since adding the product, they seem to be bouncing back. But my question is, Do you think I should prune the branches back so they can start over. It is so unsightly. I just got this last year as a gift, and have no experience with Roses. And what did the damage in the first place. I don't see any bugs or webs on it. Should I be using something else....cause like I said, it seems the new growth since applying looks ok. Thanks for any help. Love Daves Garden!

Thumbnail by chirpin Thumbnail by chirpin
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

A lot of roses got this in my area last year. I think it's thrips. I treated all of my plants that suffered last year with acephate - a systemic. A garden center can help you with a product.

The good news is that if this KO's repeat, so if you remove the damage it will bloom again. Several of my roses looked much worse than yours, and came back beautifully.

So yes! Cut it back.

This message was edited May 26, 2016 8:55 AM

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

My sister-in-law had sawfly larvae and it looked like this. She got some stuff from a garden center and it took care of it.The bugs died and the leaves grew back.She said they were little green worms. Do not know what they gave her, though.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

This was sawfly larvae. They will probably be back.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.