Does this woodpecker need a psychiatrist?

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

A week ago we heard an intermittant rat-a-tat-tat of something striking metal. We found a red-headed woodpecker pecking at the side of a metal ladder. Chasing it away didn't stop it coming back. We went away for 5 days and now we're back and it's still at it!!! It sets my teeth on edge to think what it's doing to its poor beak!

Any ideas?

tia
las

(Zone 5a)

Our woodpeckers use a sign on our road or sometimes one of our grain bins. That sound travels! As for any damage to their beaks, their bills are made hard enough to withstand the pounding. Please don't chase him away as that will put stress on the bird in an already very stressful world.

We had a near-sighted Downy Woodpecker that flew right into the side of a wooden feeder. The way the poor fellow bounced off, he obviously was not trying to cling to it. He seemed to have problems.

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Thanks to Cville gardener and chilibean. With this new format I can't figure out how to respond to individual replies!
Is this how your interface looks?

P.S. Well, now that I think about it, I guess we never could respond to individual replies. Too bad.

This message was edited Jun 17, 2016 1:09 PM

Thumbnail by LAS14
(Zone 5a)

Yes, that's how I see things. There is a quote button at the bottom of each post, so you can click on that to respond to what someone says. I've seen some quote multiple people (at least I think it is this site), but I am not sure how it is done.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Woodpeckers peck for different reasons, but what you're describing is called "drumming". When woodpeckers drum they tend to look for objects with different sounds to create the effect they want. Apparently your ladder makes a sound that's appealing to that Red-headed Woodpecker.

Drumming is usually done during mating season. It's generally to call to a mate or to attract a new mate. Based on that it will eventually stop so try to be patient even though it's annoying.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Sorry for the late reply...

In the 50th anniversary year of its release, and a year after the gentleman singer left this world, I'm imaging that your rascal is performing his version of the Percy Sledge classic...

When a man loves a woman,
Can't keep his mind on nothin' else,
He'd change the world for the good thing he's found.
If she is bad, he can't see it,
She can do no wrong,
Turn his back on his best friend if he put her down.
When a man loves a woman,
He'll spend his very last dime
Tryin' to hold on to what he needs.
He'd give up all his comforts
And sleep out in the rain, bang his head on a metal ladder,
If she said that's the way
It ought to be.
Well, this man loves you, woman.
I gave you everything I have,
Tryin' to hold on to your heartless love.
Baby, please don't treat me bad.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Viburnum - I love that song! And your new version is, um....interesting.

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Viburnum, thanks for the song!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.