Nice tree

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Tree looks like was planted as an ornamental, I am not sure what it is. I like the flattened needles. It does well with no care at all.

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Cunninghamia lanceolata. Yep, a nice tree; from China originally.

Resin

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have a nice Cunninghamia right next to our house. I love it. But it sheds tons of leaves & branches over winter - they are razor-sharp!

Ahh, thanks. I was thinking something related to Sequoia, Taxodium,. Cryptomeria or Thuja. Now I see they are all in the Cupressaceae family.

Interesting about the sharp dry leaves, the green ones did not feel sharp. I had that problem with Mahonia aquifolium (Oregon Grape), a native here. It drove me (and the cats) crazy as the leaves blew all over the lawn, so barefoot was impossible. The sharp prickles lasted at least a year, hidden in the grass. Mobot says not reliably hardy there, so you must have a protected microclimate.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I guess so. Mine is 20ft tall - a beast.

well I read in their native habitat they grow to 150 feet.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Hmm - 150 ft ?? I can't even imagine. Surely it would violate some sort of civic code in my town. Mine's 15-20 yrs old or so. I presume he's still a youngster. I'm thinking it won't be my problem down the road...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.