What\'s Blooming #2

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I am starting the thread again. The last thread from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1419912/ got pretty large.

Thumbnail by weeding
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you Weeding!!!

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Thanks for all the kind words on pictures. I'm enjoying reading all you input and learning a few tricks along the way. I've never been one for the perennial geraniums - I may have to give them a try.

My Dame's Rocket is just winding down (I received my start from trading here on Dave's Garden). Here are some of the finale of some of my 2016 Dame's Rocket. The yellow iris is just getting started blooming - most all my other iris are already spent.

Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Everything is so lush, Brenda! You are lucky to have such a beautiful backdrop!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I love the texture you have created. The contrasting forms and shapes. Gorgeous!

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Kinds words - I love um! Thank you so much. I almost eat, drink and sleep garden plus I have just finished off my compost pile and I'm planning on planting rhubarb and a few potatoes in what is left of the gold dirt. I bought some purple glad bulbs today that were half price. Donna I believe you said you didn't enjoy paying full price (me either). I'll plan on planting them in the ground tomorrow in my new 4-Row Perennial garden where I have planted purple/pink zinnia seed to the back of the 4-Row Perennial garden. I'm going to plant the glads deep as I don't plan on digging them, and I'm going to plant 4 together in different places. I also made purchase of some 4 Black Beauty eggplant and I'll work that into a spot in the veggie garden.

I so love to garden.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

My Reblooming White Iris is in bloom.It just loves to lean on my Azalea bush.

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

A handsome pair. I love those rebloomers - I like the surprise late August/early September.

Hi brendak654, you really did so eat ,drink and sleep garden , I do the same too, just came back in from planting Impatients, Annual Vincas , Coleus and Foxglove, Cardinal flower from my winter sown containers . Hubby brought me a nice cold drink while I was out there as we had a beautiful 70 degree day.Hope your Glads do well , I never pick my up and they come up beautiful every year . Gardening is great therapy so let's enjoy it.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Indeed Brenda, I Love a bargain!

Free works too. Nice people gave me my first astilbe seedling, and I was given five white dicentra. I inherited a pink one, was given a variegated one, and a client who had tons of them said, hey, why don't you take these? I put them in an area around ferns and oakleaf hydrangeas, and marked the location for when they wave bye bye for the year.

Blooming now is Deutzia Chardonnay Pearls (a plant so great it changed my mind about yellow). It looks so delicate, but comes up like gangbusters year after year. It's tucked under a 35 year old plus PJM rhodie, and takes over the show as the rhodie backs into its quiet evergreen splendor.

The huge thing in the second picture is David Austin's first rose, 'Constance Spry'. It will be in bloom in a week, but down next to it are two nepeta that were supposed to be Dawn to Dusk', but instead are some short, incredibly dense nepeta I do not know the name of. The great nursery I ordered it from apologized and sent me a refund, even though I told them I loved it and was happy to keep it.

Alchemilla mollis. I have discovered that this lovely plant will grow in north shade as it did at my former home, but will also grow in full sun on the south side of my house near the roses.

The fourth pic is a closer image of Geranium 'Bevan's Variety'. A very kind person gave me about 20. They work in sun, shade, great soil, so-so soil, moisture and dryness. They are evergreen. They clump up, so I have about 50, and I put them every where for any purpose. These are on my driveway, for heaven's sake. I am so grateful to my friend. This is a plant that can go anywhere,always looks great, and fills any purpose I can find for it.

The last is an ornigothalem that popped up in my yard - Star of Bethlehem? I deliberately grow nutans. When things pop up I normally look at the with a beady eye (invasive), and I understand that this can be, but after four years I only have a handfull, and they must have decided to be nice because they turn up in perfect locations.

Oh my goodness, I love gardening!!!!!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Yes - gardening is GREAT therapy. I'm headed for the porch to enjoy the view. Photo's of a few thing blooming today.

Deutzia - I should have tried that one when I had the chance. I'll have to remember that Donna. I really like yours

My poppies are popping.

Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654

Hi brendak654,do you plant wild flowers among your peonies ? I like how it looks,It its beautiful . My poppies are just coming up ,cannot wait to see them bloom.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

cytf - I commented to your prior post, then lost all I had written - I despise when that happens. My comment was that I also had planted annual vincas, impatiens, coleus and foxglove. Only a couple of coleus in old pots lining a bridge to our island. The impatiens I planted went in some old brown ironstone pipes that I use like pots - I less than a half dozen. One of the impatiens was a double - I really like those. I added some creeping Jenny for the contrast in color from purple (well it may be pink but I was aiming for purple) and chartruse. Foxglove is not my specialty. Mother used to have great luck with foxglove, but that is where the line is drawn and my thumb is not a green when it comes to foxglove, but I keep trying. Let's put it this way - they are still alive. As for the annual vinca, I planted the white poka-dot and a burgundy one in my new 4-Row Perennial garden (as a filler).

You asked if I planted wildflowers with my peonies - no. The blue is a Japanese iris and I also had some Purple Sensation Allium with them and I think in the picture the Allium has gone to seed.

If your poppies are just now coming up, I suspect they were planted in the spring. My were fall planted - much easier (I think).

The first picture looks like bachelor buttons and poppies, they are beautiful and always reseed.My poppies were sown in winter on the piles of snow, I did that before and they bloom very nicely for me .

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Yes - those are batchlor buttons (cornflowers) with the poppies. I have larkspur there as well, but they are a little slower. That is interesting how you sewed your poppies in the piles of snow.

This is my first Allium flower.I bought it from the Xmas Tree Shop and then found Giant ones at a Nursery close to my home,so I gave 3 of the bulbs to one of my friends that I am helping to create a flower garden .Did I know it was going to be so beautiful I would have kept 2,

Thumbnail by cytf
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Enjoying your allium.

Check out my red hot pokers (aka - torch lily, aka - Kniphofin) - Better yet check out the orioles that are enjoying them.

Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654
Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

Quote from brendak654 :
Enjoying your allium.

Check out my red hot pokers (aka - torch lily, aka - Kniphofin) - Better yet check out the orioles that are enjoying them.

I love flowers and I love birds. That is a great picture brendak654.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Is the bird attention on the kniphofias typical? That's adorable!
Sadly, my torchlilies didn't overwinter.

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Yes, awesome Kniphofias with the birds, Brenda!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Allium karataviense. It looks delicate, but every one I put in has come back, and brought friends!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Hi DonnaMack,is that the Giant ones ?they are beautiful. My daughter loves purple flowers so mine are all purple , I do hope mine multiply next year,

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

It is actually quite short, but it's cool because the flower is large and the foliage has markings.

For a bigger purple one that is quite inexpensive, try 'Purple Sensation'.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

My first peony, Edulis Superba. I was sent 3 by mistake instead of a res single. Nice mistake!

The blooms of Stanwell Perpetual. This is its 2nd year, and there are at least 300 buds on this first bloom of the year.

Both are gloriously scented.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Hi DonnaMack, is that a yellow knockout Rose?I have one and it has a lot of blooms too.

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Quote from Loretta_NJ :
Is the bird attention on the kniphofias typical? That's adorable!
Sadly, my torchlilies didn't overwinter.

So sorry your torch lilies didn't overwinter. . . . I knew the orioles liked the nectar in the red honeysuckle, but I had no idea they liked the red hot poker so well. The orioles are there a lot at the pokers gathering nectar. The oriole in this picture below is really enjoying the nectar. Not sure if I already posted that photo or no.

Pertaining to the alliums - I have not had luck in getting them to return year after year??? I'm always having to plant each fall for spring show.

More photos of "What's Blooming" - Pictures taken this morn ahead of a heavy rainstorm.

Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

That, my dear, is Stanwell Perpetual, a 'found" hybrid spinosisima rose from 1838. It has a gorgeous scent, is zone 4 hardy and produces about a billion blooms, and then repeats several times. The pic is bleached. It's pink and very double. And it's taller than I am even though it forms a fountain.

I didn't know that there was a yellow KO. It's much prettier than the red.

Thank you , that's an unusual Rose and it really blooms nicely for you . I had planted the smaller Alliums two years and they have returned .Some are planted in full sun and some in morning sun and evening shade,

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Some alliums are weird. I planted a bunch of allium christophii one year and got nothing the next. So I put in more. The original ones seeded, and so did the next batch until.. they were everywhere (nice problem)!

But I put in alllium atropurpureum three times and they never came back. They were advertised to me as zone 5 hardy but I think that they were really zone 6.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

The Alliums are so cool! They look like little fireworks exploding in the garden. How long does the blooming period last?

I grew Allium 'Hair' because I like oddball plants. It reseeded like crazy and I had to get rid of it. Then, it started popping up in garden beds that were separated from the original planting site by sidewalks and grass. I think birds distributed the seeds, and once it was in each new bed it was really happy to reseed there, too.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Everything is popping up after yesterday's rain.

Salvia New Sensation Rose
Rose de Rescht
Alchemilla mollis
Geranium biokovo
Peony Festiva Maxima

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Allium christophii, Rose Marie Pavie, Rose Alexander MacKenzie

Peony Edulis Superba, next to the budded bourbon rose Kathleen Harrop

Rose Morden Blush and Salvia Mainacht

Baptisia australis, another Rose de Rescht, and nepeta that is either Six Hills Giant or Joanna Reed

Peony Cornelia Shaylor

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Those are beauties Donna.

Beautiful!
I had Rosa de Rescht. I just LOVE how it smells. Just seeing the picture, I can remember the frangrance.
Did you notice that in the picture of your Festiva Maxima peony, that the blooms make a heart shape. You could make a card out of it!

Peach Iris in bloom,but the sun was so high that I do not think I got a good picture,My three different colors of dianthus. DonnaMack I love your Peonies they are beautiful.

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Pretty cytf

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Particularly like Cornelia Shaylor.
And that clump of white dianthus is nice.
Looks like things are blooming all around.
I've been busy planting some things and trying to salvage a minor yard disaster,
so I haven't had a chance to check out what's blooming.
But should be a beautiful day here today, so I'll check things out.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nice of that bird to color coordinate for you, Brenda! All beautiful shots! You really have an knack for pairing plants not just in color but habit and scale too.

Beautiful plants, Donna! You really caught my eye with that salvia and your Allium christophii are huge! I think I need to fertilize or move mine! Actually, I'm not even sure I have many left. Did you happen to get a photo of the peonies open?

Ctyf, that iris is a beautiful color. I have something similar but it didn't bloom this year. It has been shaded out. I also especially like that white dianthus. Did you get that one in a pack? I'll have to keep an eye open.

So much is blooming here that I haven't posted - iris, clematis, roses and more. Can't bore you with them all but here are a few.

1. I've been looking for a dark leaf yellow dahlia. I use to have many I grew from seed but they died one winter and I needed the yellow back in the gene pool. Hopefully it has tubers.

2. Amsonia hubrichtii

3. First rose of the season is Blanc Double de Coubert

4. First Peony is Buckeye Belle and first bloom for me. I bought this on sale a couple of years ago and I don't think it even showed up the first year. It really needs to be photoshopped as the color is deeper than the photo.

5. First clematis of the season was Miss Bateman.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

1. Some white allium blooming inside Black Lace.

2. What remains of veronica Waterperry Blue.

3. Heucherella Pink Fizz made the first winter.

4. Bachelor Buttons

5. Columbine

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Just beautiful pictures and plants - so inspiring!

Loretta, there is nothing boring about your pictures. You have things I don't have! Clematis, iris..am I the only person in the world who doesn't have iris?

Wee. Cornelia Shaylor is one of the first peonies I acquired. You have to support it, but it's just gorgeous and has a wonderful scent. I got my first one from a Canadian company, and had to go to Canada (the alternative was France) to get two for my new home.

Here is a closeup of a Festiva Maxima flower that fully opened today. Even in bright sunlight, it is hanging onto that combination of white, yellow and the red flecks I just love.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.