Growing Rhubarb

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

How deep should I plant my rhubarb. I was given roots that are about 6-8 inches long and about 10 -12 inches around. One person says don't plant them too deep or I will kill them someone else says I should plant them about a foot deep. I need some expert advice as I love my strawberry and rhubarb pie.
Also, is it possible to grow rhubarb in bales???
I would so appreciate any advice on this. Thanks gang

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi, I have not been on DG much lately due to many life circumstances, so I just saw this question about rhubarb. You probably planted it already, but I thought I'd add a little information in case someone else is looking for an answer to the same question.

Rhubarb likes a nice, deep fertile soil, with lots of added compost if you are starting with heavy clay like me, so you need to dig deeply to prepare the soil and weed it thoroughly since the rhubarb will be growing there for many years. However, the rhubarb crowns (the growing tip of the plant) do not want to be very deep, especially in an area with lots of rain or wet soil. In a cold winter area, the crowns could be planted so they are 4 inches below the soil surface. Here in the PNW, where the temperatures are milder, you can plant so the crowns are closer to the surface, maybe 2 inches. If you have a big chunk of root division, the hole needs to be dug so the roots will be deeper and the crown pointing up. That might be what a person saying you need to dig a hole a foot deep was talking about. You definitely don't want the crown buried a foot under.
By the way. plum-rhubarb jam is fabulous.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

I was told many years ago to amend the soil with aged cow manure. Rhubarb loves it. With that in mind, I did, and have always had healthy delicious rhubarb. Good luck. Oh....also. And this is kind of sad....Don't take stalks the first year. Be sure to check that out though.???

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.