Grapevine \"green cuttings\" wilt too soon

Williamsburg, VA

I'm new to the site so please excuse if I don't make sense here. I am starting a small set of grapevines (don't want to call it a vineyard yet : ) and I'm doing pretty good with starting dormant cuttings from last year, but every time I've tried to do green cuttings this Spring, whether in water, perlite-peat mix, or other mediums, they each begin to wilt within 2-3 days and lose enough vitality that they never really get going enough to root. I mist them a couple times a day and keep the soil moist but perhaps I'm keeping them too moist? or not misting enough (2-3 times per day). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Williamsburg, VA

I bought the "snake" misting hose at ACE Hardware for $12 and it seems to be holding the wilt away for now. I only need to mist them once a day it seems. I hope this is the problem. If this helps anyone then I'm happy. I guess I got to answer my own question! : )

(Zone 5a)

I hope this continues to be successful for you. I am sorry you did not receive any help. I saw this, but killed my one grape vine some years ago, so I did not want to steer you the wrong way. My interest lies in Iowa natives, but not too many people come by with questions about those. :)

Maybe someone else will see this that knows something about grapevines.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I think this was posted in the wrong forum. Try the Propagation forum.

(Zone 5a)

Quote from birder17 :
I think this was posted in the wrong forum. Try the Propagation forum.

That is correct, but they are fairly new and not a paying member so the Propagation forum is not available for them to post to. The free forums that would be good for such questions (Ask a Dave's Gardener, as an example) have many unanswered questions. I didn't want them to find the same response as here.

It has been frustrating seeing the lack of responses on the free forums. The knowledgeable people are somewhere, but not at those places. I will only post what I know or can possibly find in a search.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh. I didn't realize this. :(
I can't help either.

Williamsburg, VA

Thank you Chillybean and birder. I guess that kind of explains the lack of response I got from the initial post. Other sites I've used to get answers, or provide answers, had much more activity and answers came in within minutes or hours. I kept checking over a week or so and got nothing so posted my own update just to put it back in peoples' minds. I finally stopped checking and then today saw you'd answered. Thanks so much. BTW, I didn't know there was a paying option to the site. I'd hate to pay and get the lack of responses I've seen here. By the sound of it, that might not be the case. Would you recommend it? I could sure use some knowledgeable help! : ) Anyway, as an update, the mister does do the job quite well, but you have to be consistent, as in a couple times, for a period of 10 to 20 minutes every day. Otherwise, as I've recently learned, the "down" times between misting will again wilt out the more fragile cuttings. Good luck with your Iowa natives, Chillybean. Good luck to you also, birder17.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Well, thanks. I'm glad your problem has been solved.
Regarding joining, I have a mixed opinion. In the past this website has been the very best anywhere. It's an international website. We've had excellent interaction with very knowledgeable and professional members. Some got disgusted with the changes the website has made and sadly, left. Others have remained in hopes it will strengthen.
I decided to pay my membership fee again. I can't find any website that has so much excellent information especially in Plant Files where you can read other people's experiences with a plant you are considering or wondering about.
So, my decision was to be a paying member. I'm not sorry I have done this.
Sometimes you can ask a question and no one answers, but often and usually, you get someone to reply and try to help with your conundrums.
It's $20.00. How quickly can you spend that at a grocery store or a restaurant or a movie? Twenty dollars for an entire year of knowledge is worth it for me.

Williamsburg, VA

birder - I totally agree with you. $20 is less than 2 bucks per month for such great insight. I will be signing up soon. It may not be the site it used to be, but to a newbie, its pretty darn good! : ) Guess I'll see you around the campus so to speak. Thanks again for your consideration of my current issue. I'm learning and with everyone here, that might happen much faster.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Riversidevine: Hey, I'm glad to see you have decided to join. We welcome you as a member. I hope you participate often. It's what makes the website interesting.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

This forum is more for technical issues with the site, and it doesn't get much traffic. Ask a Dave's Gardener and the Beginner Gardening forum are more for plant based issues and get a lot more traffic. You don't need to be a paying member to use them.

Williamsburg, VA

Thanks 1lisac. Thanks birder. I'll be glad to get synced up with folks here so that I get the most out of the site and perhaps help others in the process. I will sign up as a member and see what's what. I just finished (almost) a 20x24 frame and polycarbonate greenhouse. I'm on a steep learning curve for all the things I want to do in it so I'll be happy for the advice from experienced gardeners. Cheers!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Actually, there's a "Greenhouse" forum.
If you go to "Communities" at the top of the page.
Then to "Garden Talk".
Scroll down to "Greenhouses".
You should get some good information by going back and reading what others have written. Hopefully, it's an "active" forum. Some are not very active because we have lost some members. In the future perhaps, it will pick up again with members like you joining. Good luck on your greenhouse!

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow birder, I didn't know that was how one got to that forum, I have a steep learning curve also. Lol

Welcome Riversidevine, I too find the 20.00 well worth it. There is simply no other site like DG.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images