baby ginkgo tree

Two Rivers, WI

A 2mo. Old robust ginkgo tree. In a 4" pot. Is it common for them to branch out that small?? Its about 2" tall

Thumbnail by duescher22
Two Rivers, WI

.....also.... Out of the other 30 seedling's that one is much more developed but shorter. Does anyone have any input. On if that will an indicator on how it will be as an adult tree?

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I think ultimately they will all get very tall. What fun to grow your own! Generally with trees, to make sure of a single leader, you should take off any competing leaders. I would probably pinch it off. Maybe it got a little damage and decided to branch early, but otherwise it looks just fine.

Two Rivers, WI

Can't wait to plant them, "after a couple years of nursing". Love growing trees from seed.

What else have you grown? I sprouted Sourwood (Oxydendrum arboreum)- I have two survivors planted out in the yard now. I see why you like doing it.

Two Rivers, WI

This season I planted 120 ginkgo seeds so far 30 sprouted, 50 bistlecone pines most of them sprouted, a bunch of Norway spruce. A lot of them came up too. But the bistlecone had the highest germ rate. The ginkgos are still working there way up. They seem to like it warm to sprout.

Kind of neat to think a Bristlecone you sprout could still be alive in a couple thousand years!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.