Fermented Vegetables

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

I have been preserving my garden vegetables harvest for some years now, and I did preserved them mainly by canning.

Last year was the first year I did fermented food, using the very old method of lacto fermentation, the method that people used when they didn’t have canning jars or supermarkets. it was the only method viable. And it was / is very healthy!.

You can ferment anything and is, as I said before healthy, natural and cheap. It preserves the food, and creates beneficial enzymes, b-vitamins, Omega-3 fatty acids, and various strains of probiotics.

Not only to preserve nutrients in food and break the food down to a more digestible form, improving digestion. There are now studies linking specific probiotics to a wide variety of health benefits, that we can discuss if there is interest and we can share different recipes as well.

Today I did a medley of cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, and red bell peppers. I did add some cloves, garlic and cummin and it look beaut and appetising.

This thread has one reply. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!