CLOSED: A Mighty Strange Looking Bird

Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

This guy landed on the pole that holds our feeders, strutted around, and flew into a tree before I could get my lens cap off. What struck me was the way his tail feathers pointed straight up in the air like the spoiler on a sports car. I only got one image that pretty much captures his features. The others are partial attempts to get him in focus. Very curious, so please respond!

Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman
Wells, ME

There are better birders than me on this forum, but I think it looks like a Pyrrhuloxia.
http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/706/overview/Pyrrhuloxia.aspx
If not that, then some type of grouse or other land bird?

Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

Thanks very much for your response. I'd love for this bird to decide he likes our offerings enough to stick around and pose for more photos.

Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

After looking further at Pyrrhuloxia photos, I see that none of them have a tail like my guy. Please don't give up considering an ID.

Thumbnail by wingwoman
(Zone 5a)

I am seeing a male House Finch. The bill is right as well as the facial markings.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Based on the first pic I agree it looks like a male House Finch - The other shots are pretty blurry, although you can see a little bit of the markings in the second pic.

(Zone 5a)

Just thinking about your comment about the tail. The overall pose of the bird in the first photo looks a lot like he's trying to get a female's attention. We've seen them do that here... it can be quite amusing to watch.

Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

I have had the privilege of witnessing several mating dances performed by male house finches. Very amazing to watch. When this bird began his strut, it looked familiar, but with the tail at a 90 degree angle, and there was no vocal come hither chirping going on. Since there weren't any other birds around to impress, he kept his performance way too short. I'm baffled, but still hopeful that the mystery will be solved. We are fond of our male finches, and I'd just photographed one before our guest came calling. I appreciate all the comments!

Thumbnail by wingwoman
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Ditto to House Finch, all the pics :-)

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.