CLOSED: bird nest question

Salina, KS

I have a house finch sitting on at least one egg for now in a hanging fuchsia basket. I am excited to have her but would like to try to keep my plant alive also. I was wandering about watering. Does the bird stay on the eggs all night? I could go out after dark if not. Or could I just water with hose gently at the side of the container? Or lightly mist the whole plant? It is hanging under the eave of my house and wont get direct rainfall. Also in Kansas so will need watered pretty much every day as it gets hotter. Not sure if this is the best place to post this but any advice would be great.

(Zone 5a)

This is a fine place or the forum, Bird Watching. As far as I know House Finches stay on the nest all night. It doesn't feed overnight, so wouldn't have a reason to get up unless there is a predator.

Is this plant special to you? Or is it a perennial? Personally, I would let it die for the sake of the bird, especially if it is an annual unless it had some sentimental value. That's just me, I like birds more than plants.

When you head near the plant, likely she will fly off. Go ahead and water then, but be very careful not to get nest or its contents wet. That first time, see how she reacts. Likely she or her mate will scold, but they stop when you move away. I hope she then comes right back and sees all is well. Incubation is about 14 days and nestling stage can be as long as 19 days, then off the young go! Then clean the nest out of your plant. I do not know if they will attempt a second nesting in the same location.

I hope your little finch family and your plant do well. Maybe check back in later to post an update. I am always fascinated learning about birds and wonder if the finches will tolerate you in this case.

Salina, KS

Thank you for the information Chillybean. I would much rather have the birds than the plant but would love to have both. I hope they will tolerate me but I am going to keep all activity to a minimum anyways. I will update as time goes on.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Years ago I had a House Finch nest in a bush in my front yard near the sidewalk. The neighborhood kids found it before I did - I had to tell them that they had to all come at once, only once per day, to peek at it. They were surprisingly good at doing that, and the bird did not abandon her nest.

Salina, KS

Well so far she doesnt seem to mind me. I have watered the hanging plant a couple times she just sits on the power line watching me then returns when I'm done. Once the eggs hatch i will try to get some pictures to share.

(Zone 5a)

Oh, I am so glad this is working out. I look forward to seeing the little ones.

Salina, KS

Well everything was going good with the baby finches until yesterday when a blue jay killed all of them. I had just got home from work and noticed through the window a large bird land on the hanging basket, so I banged on the window and as it flew off I noticed it was a blue jay with something in its mouth. When I looked in the nest all 3 of the babies were gone. I always heard blue jays are bully birds but didn't know they killed other birds. After dark I went and removed the nest and will prevent the finches from trying to nest in there again so hopefully they will have better luck somewhere else. I believe they within 5 days from leaving the nest. I feel so bad for the parents. Wish I had better news but that's the way it goes I guess.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.