New gardener

Bothell, WA

Hello,
Brand new gardener here. I finally have my own house and planting flowers and having a garden was one of the most looked forward to aspects of owning my own home. I meticulously researched and picked flowers that fit the climate, all sun, all shade, partial sun etc. and planted and planted. I have a number of flowers doing ok but also a good number not doing well and dying. I guess I am disappointed but want to learn and grow! What could I have done wrong? I watered 1-2 times per week depending on rain amount and on the particular plant's 'instructions'. I'm unsure. Perhaps not planted deep enough. Native soil not amended enough with fertilized soil?
I also planted some seeds from Pennington Wildflower and Hummingbird blend, it's been about a month, lots of little green 'buds' no flowers yet. I'm hoping. Anyone else use this? How is it? I know I'm being impatient to see.
Anyway; glad to be learning and planting and enjoying. Hoping for a veggie garden next year or so. Any advice for my flowers and my seeds would be appreciated
heather

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Welcome to the wonderful (and sometimes frustrating) world of gardening.

It's almost impossible to tell you what may or may not be wrong with your plants without knowing where you planted each type of plant and what the conditions were.

Different plants prefer different types of growing conditions. Some like sun, shade or part shade. Some like to be more moist while others like drier conditions. Some like acid soil and others may prefer alkaline, while many aren't too fussy.

Are you planting Annuals, Perennials or both. Describing the conditions you planted each plant in will make it much easier for members to give you advice.

Also, if you can post pictures, that's even better.

Seed mixtures like the ones you described are funny sometimes. The best mixes are ones that are designed for the area you live in. Also, not all of the plants will come up or bloom at the same time.

By-the-way, don't get discouraged if your plants don't bloom as quickly as you expect they will. Read the back of seed packets or the info on plants that you buy to transplant into your garden. That's the best way to tell how long they should take to start blooming.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Tangerine- I am nearby, so if you tell us what you planted, and upload a few photos, I may be of help. It's been a lovely warm spring, most of my garden is growing great, but some things it is still too cold at night for growth (like tomatoes, they need it to say above 50 degrees at night).

Thumbnail by Pistil
Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Many wildflower blends need to be sown in the fall/winter for flowers the following spring. Many times the packs don't say this but that's wen they do best. The seeds germinate at different temps too.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Tangerine how is it going?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.