Hydrangeas

Mount Laurel, NJ

I think I am going to have another year with no hydrangea blossoms, sigh! One year they were so beautiful. I have about 8 big plants of big sticks, with growth at the bottom. They are all so unsightly! I wonder if I can cut them down to the new growth without affecting the blossoms for next year.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

You can always cut off dead stems - no reason to keep that around during the growing season, and that will have no effect on the new growth this year.

Otherwise, I don't have much advice other than to maybe transition from the plants that disappoint you to another group with more reliability for summer flowers in NJ.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

It is the third Lousy Hydrangea year in a row here in NJ.

Mount Laurel, NJ

I decided to dig up the old hydrangea and move it. It was too big for the area anyway. And I bought a new hydrangea with buds already on it. It's an Endless Summer variety, so I think I can prune that one without fear of losing next years blossoms. I THINK! I'll have to investigate that in more detail later.

Thumbnail by coleuslover123 Thumbnail by coleuslover123
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

That looks so perfect. I did buy a couple of the new hydrangeas and so far, they have done terrible - not endless summer though. My SIL has a lot of ES in Central Jersey and they do great. I have to dig up and see their roots. They were probably root bound when I got them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.