Bolivar Peninsula Migration

Puyallup, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi, I have a few photos from Bolivar Peninsula when I was out there for spring migration. You will need to zoom in on these, I didn't crop. A couple of these birds are difficult for me to ID. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Here are my thoughts
#1 I think is a sanderling or black bellied plover in winter plumage

#2 I was thinking the one in the middle is a piping plover but not sure about the one on the left

#3 Sanderling? Black bellied plover? Western sandpiper?

#4 is the one in the middle (the one most in focus) semipalmated plover? Then the one in front on the right at the bottom (and is out of focus) - looks like a dunlin? On the very right edge toward the middle of the pic there is another out of focus larger bird, maybe a marbled godwit?

#5 Maybe a willet?

Thumbnail by rntx22 Thumbnail by rntx22 Thumbnail by rntx22 Thumbnail by rntx22 Thumbnail by rntx22
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep to Willet for #5.

The others, it would help if you could crop the originals to show the birds better and re-post, as DG auto-downsizes the pics so much.

Resin

Oh, and PS, where is Bolivar Peninsula?

Puyallup, WA(Zone 8b)

OK, thanks, I will try to crop these. And Bolivar Peninsula is a barrier island off southeast Texas, a very popular area to travel to look at seabirds year round - and migrants this time of year. It's near High Island and Anahuac national wildlife refuge -also good places for birdwatching especially during spring migration. I try to make several trips there in spring during migration since I only live an hour away.

Puyallup, WA(Zone 8b)

Ok here we go, here are the cropped ones. Some are going to be way too blurry and out of focus but maybe you can still get something from them.

Thumbnail by rntx22 Thumbnail by rntx22 Thumbnail by rntx22
Puyallup, WA(Zone 8b)

And the last 3 are the 3 birds in picture #4. The bird in the middle photo is the one I was actually taking the picture of, the other 2 just happened to be in the frame so are not in focus

Thumbnail by rntx22 Thumbnail by rntx22 Thumbnail by rntx22
Puyallup, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh and I have another one from today, its a tough one!! We rented a beach house on Bolivar peninsula and I was just running to the store really quick and didn't bring my camera or binoculars with me. On the way back to the beach house, I passed this persons yard that was slightly flooded from recent rains. There was a huge flock of these brown shorebirds going crazy in the muddy grass. All I had with me was my phone so the best I could do was get a pic with that. It is really a terrible photo, but if anyone can make something out of it that would be awesome.
The birds in person looked to me like short billed dowitcher possibly... or perhaps stilt sandpiper? Many of them had a bit of a reddish/brown stomach. In this picture there are a few flying and you can see the white on their back in flight, I was hoping that might help the ID.

Thumbnail by rntx22
Puyallup, WA(Zone 8b)

Same picture slightly cropped

Thumbnail by rntx22

Quote from rntx22 :
Ok here we go, here are the cropped ones. Some are going to be way too blurry and out of focus but maybe you can still get something from them.

Thanks! These might be Semipalmated Sandpipers, but not definite.

Resin

Quote from rntx22 :
And the last 3 are the 3 birds in picture #4. The bird in the middle photo is the one I was actually taking the picture of, the other 2 just happened to be in the frame so are not in focus

Dunlin, Semipalmated Plover, and another Dunlin.

Quote from rntx22 :
Same picture slightly cropped

Tend to agree dowitchers, but not certain!

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.