It\'s almost Daylily season!!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Hello everyone! I am not sure if there are current threads on this forum I am missing or not. Seems like with all the changes on DG it seems to be really hard to locate new threads!!

Just wanted to say that I have missed everyone and can't wait for daylily blooms to start! We are having a very early spring and HOT weather already. I have iris blooming and the azaleas are about done. Just wanted to see how everyone is doing.

Hope all are well!
Genna

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

All is well on my end Genna. I only have one scape on the evergreen Endless Heart. Hoping that it make it to fruition.
Mike

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

I don't have any scapes here yet but hope to contribute soon. I sure have a lot more DL's this year than I did last year so I'm anticipating a bloomin' good season!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I have several with scapes - but we had an early spring here. I was somewhere recently and actually saw a bloom...... Mine aren't that far along yet.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

I spotted another scape on Endless Heart and one on Stella's Sparky.
Hi Robin, good to see you.

Nice to see you too Mike, you're looking good. ;)
Wow, scapes already in zone 5a, you must be one heck of a gardener. I guess I should go out and drop some fertilizer.

Genna MI is still pretty cool, I'm hoping that will all change tomorrow as we're expecting a high of 70. Bring on the heat, I've got me some blooms to look at.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

55 and dreay here. It will be awhile before I see blooms

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Well last week we had some temps in the high 80s! TOO HOT for April.... this week is much better mid 70s low humidity..... PERFECT - we don't get many of those here!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Wow - found my first bloom yesterday on Happy Returns! It was a nice surprise! And so it begins.............

Can't get my photo to load but it wasn't spectacular anyway..... but exciting that the season is beginning!

And Arizona wins! I'll probably be following you Kathy, our weather is similar and my most mature clumps are in a fair bit of shade.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Arkansas, Robin, ARKANSAS! ^_^

LOL, believe me EVERYONE gets it mixed up! We get hot here, but not quite that HOT! :)

I have actually had a couple of others bloom but haven't had a chance to check names or get pics.....

Lol, that was a big faux pas...oops AZ is Arizona, duh! Sorry about that Genna (blushing).

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

LOL ..... believe me I am used to it! That an the reverse is when people are GOING to abbreviate Arkansas they usually think that AR must be Arizona so they say AK - which is Alaska and even further away! LOL...... I get all my NE states confused when trying to remember abbreviations as well because I don't use them nearly as much! :)

I have several daylilies in full swing, but I am having trouble getting photos from my phone to the computer. :( I have also been busy! My youngest, my daughter Jessica, graduated from college on Saturday morning with a double major in Chemistry and Biology. We had a graduation party afterward and had several family members there so we had a lot of fun. She will close on a house in Little Rock this week - and will be living up there for at least the next 4 years as she goes to Pharmacy school.

My oldest, Alex, will graduate from medical school on Saturday, but unfortunately, he was one of over 5,000 med school graduates nation wide that did not match into a residency program. So, he is still trying to figure out some options for this next year, BUT, he has applied to two brand new programs in Florida that just got approval for residents in Emergency Medicine (which is what he wants to do) and he has been asked to an interview on Thursday! I would sure appreciate any prayers that ya'll could lift up on his behalf. He is trying hard not to get his hopes up because he has been so devastated by the not matching - but you know it is hard not to get your hopes up when this is the one chance you have to possibly get to move forward with your career now instead of having to wait another year - not to mention that he is a 1/4 million in debt and the repayment bills start in 6 months EVEN though he didn't match. :( I don't know how long they will wait to tell them if they got a position or how many people they are interviewing. It is costing him quite a bit just to fly down there and back, but his convocation is the next day where they receive their doctorate hood and he has to be there for it. Since its 18 hrs away there was no way other than to fly.

I did manage with all that's going on to finish half of my reworking my foundation planting. I just cleaned out weeds and grass and redid the mulch - some areas had never had mulch, but they do now. I have about 1/3 of the other half done, but what is left will be the worst to deal with. Hopefully, I can make a dent in it this week! It is cooler here this week and I figure when this front moves thru we will go to scorching hot - so I am trying to get finished! It looks so pretty with fresh mulch and no weeds.........if only it would stay that way! :)

Hope everyone has a great rest of the week!

Gardens sure do look pretty with fresh mulch. Congrats for getting your kids to the the level they are now. I'm sending you prayers for your son, both of you have a great week too!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Genna we are praying for your son that he will get his foot in the door and get his career started. that's a lot of money for sure.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Robin you should add some EE daylilies.

Hi Mike, I've got Rosy Returns and Apricot Sparkles that are EE. I've got scapes and bloom buds on Rosy Returns...yay! I can't tell you how excited I am (I can't help but check them every day). Even though you and everybody else has probably seen these blooms many times before, I'm going to post pics of my babies anyway! I grew some Tribute to Mike X Rolling Raven for you if you're interested in adding something like this. You probably get real selective when at the level you are. I know I would be.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

My first 2 to bloom

Thumbnail by katgroves Thumbnail by katgroves

Kat some of us newbies need names (okay I'll speak for myself), I need names. Twice as much work for you but twice the amount of appreciation...I promise!

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Robin
The 1st is Stello D Oro and not sure about the 2nd. Lemon something. Tag is gone.

Thanks Kat, I thought the first one was Stella D' due to the number and shape of blooms but I wanted to be sure...
I should have some blooms soon!

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Your welcome Robin

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Some of mine that are blooming

Thumbnail by katgroves Thumbnail by katgroves Thumbnail by katgroves Thumbnail by katgroves Thumbnail by katgroves
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Robin you ever get any blooms?

Nice blooms katgroves! I didn't even get any pics of mine this year. I still have a few blooming but it is a struggle because it has been really dry. They do not respond as well to watering as rain. Plus, I have been gone a LOT during the month of June! My youngest son and his wife are moving to Birmingham, AL - well technically I guess I should say "have moved" since we moved all of his furniture and clothes etc down this past weekend. But, we closed on a house down there on June 3 and spent until Tuesday of the next week working on it. Then went down the following weekend and spent another 4 days working on it. Then we worked a lot this past weekend as well. They have a long way to go, but have made amazing progress, and could be living there if the electrician (who happened to be the first contractor hired) would come back and FINISH his wiring job so they could have hot water and lights!! :( HOPEFULLY tomorrow as he was supposed to have been there yesterday and hasn't showed back up yet! Anyway, with all my living on the road and work I totally missed most of my DL show - I would see them when I would come home but didn't have time for pictures. So, I will enjoy ya'lls.

Miss seeing everyone's blooms and the chatting here on Daves. Hope everyone is well!
Genna

Very pretty blooms Kat, I'm especially fond or your orange one!

At least you got to see your blooms Genna, I would have been so bummed if I missed mine, most of them are for the first time. Next summer should be less work...unless more of your kids are moving away and need your help.

Gingerjar started a thread here; http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1426347/ I've been posting my blooms there...wondering where everybody else went.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Nice blooms Kat....

Thanks Robin, I will check out the new thread!

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Its years late and at the end of Daylily Season but I have Rose Classic and Orchid Corsage blooming and one out in the back bed that I have lost the Tag for. Once it blooms I will check my list. and I will go take some pictures and post.. cause yeah gotta have those daylily pics!

Edited cause I can't type/or proofread :P

This message was edited Aug 14, 2020 8:35 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.