Anything as Aggressive as Artemisia ludoviciana?

(Zone 5a)

I would like to have a couple of part shade areas filled in. I was hoping the Ohio Spiderwort would have done it in the time we put our first plantings in 2012, but there are a lot of bare spots yet. I do not want the Prairie Sage there, otherwise I'd put some in. It is a wet enough that some Queen of the Prairie is doing ok.

I will be digging up some to put in another shady spot, but if it doesn't take due to the type of soil or too much shade, what are some other possibilities? It's on an incline that on occasion gets flooded as water runs down the ditch, but it dries pretty quickly.

The Artemisia ludoviciana thrives in clay subsoil from construction work we had done a couple of years ago.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

The shorter forbs that grow in taller grasses take full spring sun but are tolerant of shade in summer. They would do okay in part shade, the problem is they all bloom spring to early summer.
There is a group of plants that tolerate seasonal extremes of wet/dry. They tend to have thick or tuberous roots, but not always. I have a list someplace but the only one that I can remember is daylillies. Maybe an Asclepias?
I am allergic to Artemisia, and I don't know of anything that will crowd out A. ludoviciana.

Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4b)

Agastache foeniculum does well in part shade, blooming in late summer. It's a vigorous reseeder, so once you have a few plants established you'll be off to the races. It's almost achieved weed status in my yard, but it's easily pulled. I have sand, not clay, but it should do okay in clay if it isn't too wet. Butterflies, hummingbirds, finches, and bumblebees all love it. And it makes a delicious tisane.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I agree from experience with the asclepias suggestion. We have an old pasture sloping down to our pond with wet/dry springs below. We are clay on granite in Appalachian foothills at the cottage. The milkweed has gone nuts in the pasture. It's somewhat tall at three feet or more though. On the other hand, Lysimachia clethroides makes a nicer, more dense, space filler. Grows anywhere, anytime, really nice form and flowere and is easy to pull or mow as well. I can post pics in a few days of one or both when I get up there and would be happy to share.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I bet any of the Goldenrod clan would fill it in hurriedly. Add any of the fall Asters, and you won't find any ground at all.

(Zone 5a)

I appreciate your replies... I did not mention this, but I am looking for US native plants only. So far, I've cleared out a handful of spots and transplanted violets. I like violets, but what I think they will do is just become fuller rather than spread.

The milkweeds, even the Common, is not such a vigorous spreader here for some reason. The Anise hyssop, asters and goldenrods sound good. I found there are a couple of varieties of shorter goldenrods that might work in that area.

Off topic a little. About Goldenrods, we have a nice stand of them in our north pasture. Others have identified it as the Canada species which is said to be very aggressive. Not here... that one stand is all I have and it really is no more fuller than it was when we first found it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.