Question about Flame Acanthus

Dallas, TX

At an RU somehow I ended up with 2 styrofoam cups of flame acanthus. Not trusting my ability to grow little ones and only having 1 bed to use, I planted them both in the same perennial bed, but not next to each other. So now they have both grown, surrounded by sages and gregg's mist. I tried to take pics but I needed a 3rd hand to make them visible. I scribbled down their sizes but not sure where I scribbled them.
Ok. So background given, the question is how would I dig 1 or both out of the bed to plant elsewhere in the ground or in very large pots? (Obvious answer is 'carefully'.) Would I be hurting the roots? Do they produce deep roots or more spreading type roots or both? I know that they're stems are thin.

I'll measure again but regardless, can they be transplanted? They are growing at a pretty good clip. Any advice will be welcome.

The bigger of the 2 is approx. 24" tall at it's tallest point. At it's widest, it's approx. 24" wide.

The other is approx 18" x 11".

This message was edited Apr 23, 2016 1:03 PM

Dallas, TX

This message was edited Apr 23, 2016 1:15 PM

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, they can be transplanted, dig them with a ball of soil and also trim the tops by one third, plant them and keep them watered, they should do o.k.

Dallas, TX

Thanks, Josephine. One is already getting crowded by Gregg's Mist.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.