Comments on Canadian mail order vendors 2016

Oxdrift, Canada

I traditionally order from 3 vendors because no single vendor has enough variety to satisfy me. These are: Veseys, Stokes, T & T. My sister has ordered from Lindenberg for years and tried to convert me but I always found their catalogue very boring. Last year she had Lindenberg send me a catalog but by the time I got it I already had all my seeds. I spent quite a bit of time comparing varieties and prices and found they actually carried most of what I needed and prices were way less so thought I would place an order this year. I always try to place my orders in early January because we go to Mexico for 2 weeks at the beginning of February and I like to have the seeds here before we leave so that I'm ready to start seeding when we return. I still didn't have a catalog from Lindenberg so I had to order without. After I ordered of course I received their catalog.
So time past and I got Veseys Spring Bulb catalog and was contemplating an order. I had an order all punched in online and was just about to push send and decided to cancel it because 2 things were p----- me off. 1). They had a promo on that if you place a $100.00 order they would deduct $50.00. Very nice however when you punch in the order you find that for some reason they charge tax on the full amount before the $50.00 deduction. 2) they put a few spring bulb items in the regular seed catalog and you pay an extra shipping charge for those. (I had ordered a few of these.) Then when you order more product in the Spring Bulb catalog you are paying the same shipping charge again so basically a double shipping charge for product being shipped at the same time.
So I pulled the Lindenberg catalog back out and found very similar product that was not only cheaper but I didn't pay any shipping charge because my order was over $60.00. Under $60.00 shipping would be $7.95 and you can mix seed and other products for no extra charge. They are not set up for ordering online so I had to phone in which had its advantages as you actually got to talk to someone. I told the young lady that took the order that my order would have been a lot bigger if the catalog was out earlier. She advised me that for next year I can see the product online earlier and phone in an order. I also asked her to ship the product as early as possible because I have a greenhouse to start it in. My order arrived yesterday. Product was very healthy and I have it started about a month earlier than I would have received it from Veseys. I am very pleased with the price, quality and service from Lindenberg

Oxdrift, Canada

PS. This does not mean I will not order from Veseys again. It just means that Lindenberg will get a strong piece of my business and that will be robbed from the other 3

Dundas,, ON(Zone 5b)

I used to order quite a bit from T&T and always like their catalogue, but now I have such a very small space I usually order what I want from Richters.
Used to order from a place up near Ottawa too, whose name I forget right now. No space for that either any more.

Oxdrift, Canada

Thanks for the input. Where are Richters? I've never heard of them
Keith

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.