Weeding question

Dallas, TX

I know it's not a great idea to be digging in the dirt too much in our area unless we are aiming to get some hard clumps of dirt/soil. But, to what extent is it ok to be pulling weeds? Especially if in a large area. Any advice? Should I just stay in bed?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Weeds, make great compost! Have enough seeds in the ground waiting their turn that it seems they never die. If you think the weeds will turn the dirt hard if you pull them, no. Where you are weeds take up moisture from the area up to 24"? I believe it is, which steals from your flowers. If you had started earlier, or if you pull now, lay newspaper down to block them from regrowing. That will soften the ground and prevent excess work- or do you till instead of pull?

Dallas, TX

I left out something in my question. I meant to ask about digging in WET dirt, referring to the mud that all the rains have brought. I don't till, I pull. And I'm not worried about pulling a weed here or one there. I'm wanting to pull up some vines that became shrubs. They have roots that just won't quit and it's so tempting to pull on them while the ground is wet. (Was going to post a 2nd picture but it keeps coming up sideways.)

This message was edited Apr 22, 2016 12:16 AM

Thumbnail by tx_flower_child
Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Don't worry about how the pic loads. That's been a long standing issue. Sideways is better then nothing and it happens a lot.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

In that case, wet is the only way to go. Its when we grub out yaupons roots with a tractor, chain and old tire. Gonna be fill in later anyway.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.