Caney Creek bird ID

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Bird at Caney Creek in Adair County, OK. Mid April. ID help please.

Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy
(Zone 5a)

I suspect this is a Louisiana Waterthrush.
http://okc-audubon.org/category/louisiana-waterthrush/

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks Chillybean. The reference is spot-on for the images, habitat and activity of this lovely water bird.

(Zone 5a)

I am excited, I think I saw one of these today. I want to get verification of my own photos, because it would be a life bird. I was reading over the link I gave you and the habitat sounds right for this bird. The nearby creek is flowing fast with the heavy rains we recently got.

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Congrats Chillybean. Your reference article was spot on for this species. I get equally as excited when I sight a new lifer butterfly in the wild.

(Zone 5a)

I am glad I got verification... turned out it was a Northern. But now that I've learned they can breed in Iowa, maybe I'll have a chance of finding a Louisiana.

I have been getting excited about butterflies, too. I have a native bug life list and I am thrilled to add to it. I've noticed that I now make a note of when I see first of the year butterflies. I planted a lot of Golden Alexanders for the Black Swallowtail, so was really excited to see the butterfly the other day.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.