What Are These?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Time for my annual "I need an ID" post. These are growing in my garden and I have no clue what they are.

I'm pretty sure #4 is Roughleaf Sunflower, but I'm clueless on the others.

Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx
Dallas, TX

Sorry, Stephanie, I can't help you. But I have a NOID that started growing in what I thought was a pot with leftover potting soil in it. Anybody know what this plant is?

Thumbnail by tx_flower_child
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

That looks like a mealy blue sage.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Stephanie, #1 and 2 Goldenrod, @3 Willow leaf aster, @4 Rough Sunflower.

Joan, Stephanie is right Mealy blue sage is what you have.

Fort Worth, TX

I'd have gotten the goldenrods and Joan's Mealy Blue Salvia (sage) The others are new to me

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Josephine! Why do I have so many similar looking plants in my garden?!? LOL

Fort Worth, TX

the variation between plants when they are small is fairly limited. It is a matter of looking closely when pulling goldenrod (I originally planted for bees and had 12 foot high trees of it), because when they are small Goldenrod and A. Tuberosa are somewhat similar. Wouldn't be the first time I'd pulled a flower aiming for a weed

Dallas, TX

Thanks, Josephine. I forgot I even had a Mealy Blue Sage. Had to be from an RU or another $1 purchase at Lowe's.
I noticed that my sage that I call Black & Blue Sage is starting to flower. Last night I went thru 25 screens in the DG plant guide and I still can't verify the nickname or Latin name. Have to say that there were a lot of sages/salvias that should have been combined into single entries. Grrr. Anyway, my sage has been growing like a weed (is that politically correct?) so I was delighted to see that it's just going to burst into bloom.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

It it is the Black and blue it is Salvia guaranitica.

Dallas, TX

That's kinda what I thought. Too bad DG plant files didn't provide a good image. I was going to take a picture when I saw it beginning to bloom but it was starting to rain. Will post one when safe to go outside.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Get a pic that helps with id, Tx, include leaf/stem! Our pix in plantfiles are lacking a LOT and makes ya frustrated to try to id with them.

Dallas, TX

Have pictures now. Will see if / how they show up.

Thumbnail by tx_flower_child Thumbnail by tx_flower_child

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.