Fertilizer?

Janesville, WI(Zone 5a)

What brand or type of fertilizer do people recommend for lilies? Granular type a couple times a year? Or the instant miracle gro every 2 weeks or so like the directions say?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Definitely not Miracle Gro. It's a chemical fertilizer. It tends to be too strong, which is why it is popular in garden centers for annuals. It heaves the stuff at them so they bloom early and fast. And become dependent on the nitrogen, which is why they advise every two weeks. The plants have been so pumped up on nitrogen that they have to have it. Not good for plant longevity, but most of those plants are annuals and not meant to last long (although I don't use it on my annuals, because years ago it had lots of salt, which compromised the soil.)

And nothing every two weeks.

Here is fantastic advice from B&D Lilies. I buy many of mine from them:

"Time & Type Matter
A complete fertilizer, such as Vegetable 5-10-10 or a complete Rose food formula, is first applied when the sprouts begin to emerge, and again just as the flowers are opening. Choose a brand where the first number (nitrogen) is lower because with a high nitrogen content lily bulbs will grow nice leaves but not good flowers - and growing too fast from high nitrogen fertilizers weakens the bulb's overall health. (All candy and no protein - so to speak - check the chemical breakdown before you purchase any product.)"

Here is the link:

http://bdlilies.blogspot.com/2012/07/how-to-fertilize-lily-bulbs-when.html

And a lot less work!

Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.