Best/Worse/what did I learn today? Chat with friends old/new

Victoria Harbour, ON

Moving us over
We came from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1417634/?page=20#post_10218211

This message was edited Apr 15, 2016 5:36 PM

Victoria Harbour, ON

Few glitches but think links are in place..

Lindakay, would they consider replacing the knee again if the brave enough doesn't work?

Did a lot of running around in town and can hardly walk, time for pain killers, knee and hip doing a number on this old gal.

Bought an outfit Reitmans, Lordy side 10 and loose, didn't feel like trying it on..oops top has to go back Grrr. Why on earth do they not make slacks with length in the crotch for people my age..nope none, feels semi comfortable but not liking it.

Bought 10 meters of canvas type fabric, not much to choose from in the cheap department but that is ok..will be tomorrow's project, get top on gazebo and make backdrop..must go back and look at the photo's I posted the other day..see his large trailer is now parked in driveway and seems to me less wood beside the gazebo..yes? No? Or is it wishful thinking?

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new thread Betty.
I sure hope he is cleaning things up.

I hate to think of another knee surgery, so I am hoping therapy will help.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

LK - here's hoping the brace will fix your knee :-)

Betty - I SO hope this means your neighbour is cleaning up his yard - fingers crossed!!

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

YAY, a new thread, and, as Barb would remind us ' click the eye' :-)
Thanks Betty.

LK .. it could just be that your knee is trying to get 'used to' the alignment of your body after the hips surgery .. I had a few days about 6-8 weeks post op where my knee decided it didn't like all the exercising .. had to take a week off and do exercises that were less demanding ..
Sure hope it passes.

Betty, d'ya think the clean up has started next door? Would imagine today might tell the tale if you see/hear activity ...

What an awesome day here yesterday .. got into the high 60s, ended up in shorts and TShirt .. got to put sheets and clothes out to dry .. and .. bought a new 'chimanea' and paving stones to place it on .. Lorna had the patience of Job , and, she put it all together . likely christen it tonight ..
Going to be another wonderful (warm) day here .. just feels GOOD !!!

have a super day

~M~

Verona, ON

Thanks for the new thread Betty.

M the wild turkeys sorta have a circuit they make. Two people within about 2 mi feed them so they make sure they hit 1 or the other. Last night they slept in the trees around the house. Duke was NOT impressed.

Fell asleep about 9 pm so I've been up since about 3 am. I'll be dragging all day now.

Glorious day here yesterday and more to come. The skeeters are out but I would rather have them then the black flies.

Oh Betty I sure hope your neighbours get their rear in gear. We have a fellow on the township road whose yard with a few more vehicles on blocks looks much the same. Every few years the township cites him and he clears it all out. When his wife was alive she was just mortified. The inside of their house was as pristine and neat as the outside was a cluttered disaster area. Within all the confusion if you asked the guy for a certain part or tool he could find it almost instantly.

I hope Barb and Norm have a great day to move.

LK I had my right knee replaced and less than a month later it had to be done again as a part broke. My gait changed so now my left knee is rearing its ugly head. You have done really well with your therapy.

Two friends came yesterday to help me do the boys' nails. It was a disaster. We use a dremel instead of clippers, Pam was going to do the grinding . Steve and I were going to hold the pups down. Well that was the plan.......I think even a boat load of tranqs wouldn't have helped.

Won't be shorts weather here as there is too much wind coming off of the lake. There is always a breeze here at the house.Although I have been known to wear my shorts to bring in wood during the winter..... bare feet too.

Better get moving before I do fall asleep.
Dianne and her TH

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all,

Seems we are all on yard duty, suppose to be 57 today so I will try and play outside and make a loaded to the dump, just a few things dragging, fake Christmas treei, a sliding door and as many plastic flower pots as fits in my little car.

I envy you all your wildlife Dianne..ohh that is quite the chore doing the nails, guess although a chore it's easier than taking them to the vets. Would hate to think what their house looks like Dianne, as even day to day garbage is strewn around the front steps. He has a small backhoe, noticed last night he was digging a hole, there was a big metal tank in the yard yesterday..sure hope he is not difficult big holes and burying things..feel as though I'm fixated on their yard BUT

Lorna sure is ambitious..won't take her long to get project list done

Lindakay, do you have a brace or is it something you have to have made just for you?

Hoping it's a sunshine day for Barb and Norm, they will be glad when the move is behind them

Enjoy your day, hope it's a sunshine day

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hubby uses a Dremel to do the dogs nails. He puts a few liver snack in his pocket and they are pretty good about it. Molly our Golden is especially good and will put her paw right on his lap.

We were out trying to talk to our neighbors after dinner and the skeeters were voracious. Guess we were the only meal around as they were swarming.

My knee brace is the soft kind that wraps around the knee and has straps that wraps around and hooks with velcro.

Verona, ON

Oh Karen your skeeters and mine are surely related. Usually this time of year they are just a pest not a full on PIA.

I think the TH were too excited when Steve and Pam were here. We rarely see people from about mid Oct until early May. Just UPS, the oil man who only comes once in the winter and the plow guy who comes in the middle of the night. To have Duke get his nailed clipped it is $125 as he has to be put right under. When I took him in the fall the techs took it upon themselves to try without even his Elavil. I nail clipped so it bled, game over. It took me weeks to get Duke calm enough to brush him. He is a rescue and was in pretty bad shape when he got to me.

My knee brace looks like an engineer designed it. A mould was taken of my right leg and joint and then the process was started. In the warmer weather I wore a piece of long underwear under the brace as it was just too hot and I blistered.Mine has velcro straps as well.

Ok going to give the boys a tartar buster bone each then get this day started.
Dianne and her TH

No skeeters here, at least I think not ..
Sat by the fire yesterday, but, I ended up in bed at 4pm .. this dang cold has got me but good .. have NEVER had a sinus issue like this .. doubtless it's the med I am on that plays havoc with my immune system .. phewie !!

Dogs nails ,, haven't ever had a ONE of our many dawgies that enjoyed that. We even took great pains to insure we played with their paws when they were pups .. the only one who MIGHT be a tad less SPUN would be Zoey ..

Knee braces are all so individualized .. DS had one like Diannes .. when he tore his ACL .. he promptly wore it to basic training for the Militia, was there for 2 months, and, came home WITHOUT IT !!!
His surgery was not long after that .. but, I still wonder what the army DID with that thing .. I had called to say it was left behind .. 'they' promised to look .. NOT!

Looks like a dreary day here .. making a new recipe, just getting ready to put the marinade together .. it's a pork loin roast, done in the crock pot .. got the recipe from FBook, so, who knows. .. fingers crossed :-)

Think I am going to throw on a cuppa before I start cooking

Enjoy your day

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all,
Sorry to hear you are not beating the sinus infection "M" could you ask doc for different meds? Awful feeling under the weather like that!

No skitters here as yet but I'm sure it won't be longer ore they are.

Melanie dropped in yesterday, says Ned is under the weather, she took him to groomers and they cleaned his ears, ever since he has been scratching big time, mega infections..groomer told her to put top of pantie hose over his head so he's not scratching at his ears..he is not happy with that.

High 50's today, will be some outside work but not planning a lot..had to lay downt 3pm as my body told me I had done too much, so a few light projects, put up stained glass window in back porch, fill the birdfeeders, see if I can get the lawnmower going, if not charge the battery, pick up more limbs..hope one of the boys drop in so I can get the top on the gazebo, that would be a bonus..for me, just mini projects till I build up those yard duty muscles

Hope it's a sunshine day in your neighbourhood

Enjoy your day

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hmmm we may find ourselves in Susan's fix soon. Not out of our home but trying to evict tenants. We've never had a lease so no time limits there. Couple are having relationship problems for some time now and keep saying they are going to move. While we were gone they got into a knock down drag out and she came here at 3:A.M. Sheriff was called but he wouldn't come to the door. She wouldn't press charges and pretty soon went trotting back over there. He meanwhile has gotten more ornery by the day. Simply asking him to finally get rid of a junk car (repeatedly) has him in a yelling tirade. Hubby told him no shooting in the back yard and he continues, using beer bottles for targets.
Final straw yesterday, the place needs new siding and roof and hubby walked over with contractor for estimate. Seems he or someone shot a woodpecker and hung the dead bird on the house. They are a problem with wood siding which is why we need to change it. We did call the DNR about that as it is a big no no to kill them.
Hubby went back over when they were home to try to tell them we wanted them to move. Never got the chance as he came out screaming that hubby was peeking in the windows and she was running around naked. In the first place, all curtains were closed and hubby never went up to the house but stood out by their car and called him. I know this too because I was at the window here. Tenant then proceeded to yell about us invading their privacy, and he was calling the sheriff and taking us to court.
We thought since he wanted the sheriff, we would give him a hand and called for him so we could give the the paper requesting they vacate by June 1st which is way more time than we need to give them.
Sheriff talked to them and then told us we should stick to our guns and have them move. DNR came but was dark by then and they had gotten in their car and left. DNR is coming back today. This is a serious matter.
I know rentals are very hard to come by here but we have been good to them in the time they were here. When they moved in we charged way below for rent as they were young and had a baby on the way. We kept it low for three years and finally last fall told them we had to raise it as our taxes and payments had gone up. He threw a huge fit at the time but paid. Three months ago they were really struggling so I actually gave them back some of the rent. Now there are two children and one they just found out has diabetes. I really sympathize but we are not going to be abused by tenants. Our stand now is we need to do work on the house and need it vacant to do so. It really has become very run down while they are there.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2016 8:28 AM

OHMIGOSH Karen .. I sure do wish you all the best getting them to vacate the house ..
Between you and Susan I have decided to NEVER become a landlady/lord ..
PLEASE be careful ..

Betty .. once we get outside we'll be doing the same, bits n pieces .. Lorna's parents have pretty much thrown in the towel on coming here .. and, unfortunately .. we can now not go there .. Lorna has a leg apt .. DH has eye appts and, he is going away with the fellas to a gun show in Manitoba .. so .. that's that ..
Disappointing, but, her Dad can't breathe .. his COPD is in Stage 4 .. not good .. plus, her Mom is having some issues as well ..
We will be going there in October (end of) for her brother's wedding .. hopefully .. driving ..

TTFN

~M~

Verona, ON

Oh Karen and Susan I was always emphatic we would never have tenants until we moved down here to the new house. I wasn't ready to let go of the farm house so we rented it. Tenants were good at paying their rent in cash on the date due. But when they moved out the inside of the house was trashed. We had left some SG lamps behind as well as a window in a door. All were broken. The worst part was it took my cleaning lady and I days to clean up the filth and mess the tenants left behind.

Oh disappointing M you all can't get to Lorna's parents.Does her DB live near them?

Your mention of COPD M has me wondering how Barb is doing on her moving weekend. Hope they had the same weather as we are.

Almost ready for a nap. Just can't face working outside right now. Even the TH doesn't want to go outside to play,.The coyotes were very interested in the wild turkeys spending the night again in the trees around the house.So there was lots of coyotes movement and howling going on.

LK how are you doing today? Did you get any of the horrible weather this weekend? Your roses are beautiful.

Need to get some food into me but I really not hungry. I have to take some meds an hour before I can eat in the am and then take meds after that.

Enjoy the day ladies. I might rustle up enough energy to use the water pressure thingy and hose down the stairs down to the dock.Maybe.
Later
Dianne and the TH

Just rain here. Bad weather went north and east of us.

Sorry to hear about your neighbors Karen.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Came in for a break,
Omg Karen, here is hoping you have better luck than Susan..what a mess we are having with tenants and neighbour's..don't like the idea he is shooting guns..yikes, he sounds like he is losing it..not a good situation at all..

Dianne, how heartbreaking re your stained glass pieces..bit difficult judging eating with pill taking.

speaking of neighbours I see mine is outside..moved quite a bit of junk to the other side of the fence towards back, not even a dent but he is putting 3 snowmobiles on a trailer soooo it's a start, now if he could only clean up the wood piled against the fence..am sure neighbour on the other side of the fence who rushes out to pick a lead if it falls will be calling the township, between the two of us maybe it will get somewhat cleaned..hardest part is seeing the children (twins and siblings) playing with toys on front lawn because they can't use the beautiful play unit he built for them.

Happy camper, got the lriding lawnmowergoing, first turn of the key, filled her up, attached the wagon to it then got out the tarp for the gazebo, got it up and figured it was break time.

I will rake underneath the gazebo and set the furniture under it, something last fall pulled the fibres of the cushion both top and bottom to pieces, now to figure out what I can do to fix it

Might try and sew the fAbric I bought Friday to make a backdrop for the gazebo, if I get all that done lol have accomplished more than my to do list today..tomorrow is another day

I had best not sit here or that will be the end of what energy I have left

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Today he got a visit from the DNR. Had a fire going and was told to put it out.....no permit and fire danger is moderate. Do believe he was cited for the woodpecker. DNR was there for some time. Now if they don't cooperate, we can still file a complaint about the two non running, non licensed cars he has there and we have asked for over a year for them to be removed. I feel bad for her but just don't want him around his attitude gets worse and worse. They aren't married so she could dump him, her and kids would be better off. He drinks and gets abusive, she leaves and comes right back. Just don't need it.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Hard to know how the mind works Karen, to be abused, perhaps even the kids and not realize there is a better life out there..don't feel badly, I'm feeling the same but Lordy its depreciating our homes

Verona, ON

Chaos is outside lunging at skeeters. Not as much fun as leaves but it keeps him busy. He lopes around with his ears flapping and what looks like a big smile on his face.

Duke has decided to join Chaos in the chase of skeeters. He is not as animated as Chaos but does enjoy myself.

Diesel is here still gnawing on his tartar buster bone.

Karen I am glad your tenants had a visit from the authorities. Often these type of guys just thumb their noses when asked to do something.

Betty I would be taking a photo every day of the yard.

Didn't get much done outside today but tomorrow looks to be the same weather wise. I will start on the lake side of the house and get all the debris cleaned up. Steve and I are going to replace/fix some stairs down to the dock and then the actual end of the dock. The ice melted away nicely this year so the dock wasn't pushed around like last year. We can leave our dock in all winter much to everyone's envy.

I can't make a decision about a fence and expanding the deck. It is something that Warren and I would have talked about and planned.

How are you feeling M?

Dianne

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hubby & DGS are down launching the pontoon today, they are just too anxious to go fishing.
Another DGS sent a photo of my pontoon paddle boat he completely rebuilt for me and is now starting on the second one. Bless their hearts I love my grands.

Verona, ON

Aw Karen that is so sweet. Happy paddling.

I'm sniffling and snorting , but, doing OK .. didn't go to emerg ..
Got outside, and stated raking and cleaning up and came in for supper at 2pm (AWESOME if anyone wants the pork loin recioe) then back out to rake and putz about ..
DH ran the sump pump on LAKE Stephenson for a couple of hours .. we have a low spot that gets really deep with the run off from the veg garden ...
Had a bonfire .. dogs loved that .. and. got a sunburn :-)
All in all a ncie day ..
Going to watch a movie ..
DH has an eye apt at 3pm tomorrow ..

TTFN

~M~

Dianne .. the steps sound nice .. actually your whole property sounds wonderful, and, I know Warren is watching and agreeing with your decisions :-)

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Karen - I feel your pain, as I know you know.........
Yesterday, after I'd apologized for forgetting to pay the pad rent (it's now paid), I got a snarky email from her (sounded like something HE would send) saying:
"oh, I thought maybe you'd had another heart attack lol
And remember, God is not on your side"

"lol" about me having a heart attack? How callous. Neither of them step foot into a church, and yet Bob & I have 2 churches who are looking after us, should we need. If we need something, one church talks to the other to see there's no duplication of help. Even at Christmas, one church gave us a hamper and the other gave us a turkey. These are lovely Christian people in "our" two churches where we have many friends.
We will be hiring a bailiff, in case they don't move when we are moving in. The bailiff & crew will physically move all their stuff outside and won't be nice enough to pack either. If we don't have the $$ for a bailiff, we'll be able to borrow it.
Not only that, but we're going to get a Restraining Order against them so there will be NO contacting us in any way, shape or form, once the lease is up on June 15th. They are to be out on June 16th by noon.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Our tenant wasn't going to take our eviction letter but a deputy sheriff was standing right there so they had to. Kind of nice as we now have a witness to them getting the notice. Afterwards deputy came to our house and said we did the right thing. They need to be gotten off our property. Not the first time sheriff has been there.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

not the first time we've had the police show up at our tenants, either....... or because of them, here

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

No skitters in Las Vegas. To dry. Once in a blue moon a few will show up but it usually a sign a pool near by is not being maintained. The city will be on it immediately because tourist love it here because they can sit outside after sundown and not be bothered by them.

Our temp today was 80 degrees and we are forecast for 90 on Wednesday. But then back to mid 70s over the weekend.

Karen, I have two rentals. Both managed by a property management firm. I am to nice of a person to be a landlord. So it is entirely out of my hands. But they do not live directly across the street.

I am getting stronger every day. I am down to pain pills a day. One first thing in the morning and one when I go to bed. I thought I could do without the one at bed time and actually tried it. About 3am, I awoke in pain and found my pills big time. No pain in my back, all pain is in the back of my right leg between buttock and knee. Physical therapy is probably going to dismiss me this next week.

My daughter is still ringing dinner every night. But I did get to loads of laundry done yesterday. Still needs to be folded but semi folded in the laundry cart. But fixing breakfast and feeding the dogs is a major task. Go figure.

I did take some photos today that I will post.

Betty, so glad your neighbor is starting a minimal clean up. You are just the energizer bunny. You just never stop. I am wishing you all in the far north an swiftly coming spring. We are just about done with spring and headed into summer.

Marilyn, hopefully you are done with that yuck you have. Nothing makes you feel worse than a cold/sinus problem. My pups get groomed every 4 weeks and their toes get done at the same time.

Hopefully we will hear from Barb tomorrow and all went well with the move.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

More photos.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Karen - I'd lost your ph#, but have it now and I'd like to call you sometime :-)

LOVE the pics Sharon, and also very happy with your recovery :-)
The fixing breakfast thing will come along .. probably your muscles just need to be 'awake' longer to get things going .. you have done remarkably well ..

Karen .. I wish you all the best .. as I do Susan .. we had a chance to become landlords many years back, but, as DH and myself were both just swamped re our careers, we let 'the opportunity' go .. WHEW ..

Rainy rainy morning and day here .. DH has an eye apt at 3pm .. looking ahead, the whole week is booked up :-(
Lorna should be starting back next Monday (I think) .
Prayers that she gets her new leg this coming Wed.

Hope Barb did well this weekend ..

Off to grab a coffee :-)

~M~

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Good morning!!! We are moved!!! Now my work begins. The move went very easily due to my children and granddaughters. I just sat and watched!!!! I was not allowed to touch anything. After they got it all up here, they proceeded to put the house somewhat to rights and unpacked all my kitchen things and put them in cupboards. Now I get to change it all around!!!! LOL

I'm sure you all remember how much I enjoyed watching the birds and such in the yard when we lived here in Hillsborough before. Well, yesterday afternoon my daughter and SIL came by and he proceeded to set up a bird feeder right outside my quilting room window!!! Along with a fifty pound bag of birdseed!!!! What I didn't realize at first was that it was the same pole and feeder and the bear had pulled down in my backyard all those years ago!!!! So now as I sit here and type, I can see them and enjoy all over again.. He is one of the most thoughtful young guys that I know. I just love him.....

Sharon, sounds like you are healing pretty quick, but don't over do it.

Barb, glad to hear you are all moved it, you will have it all organized in no time. You didn't bring that same bear with you, did you? :)

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all,

"m" hope you are feeling a tad better today, sorry to hear that Lorna's parents will not be able to make the trip nor you down here...hard on Lorna I'm sure..if her leg doesn't fit properly Wednesday will it prolong her starting date?

Oh Barb, indeed he is a special man, imagine, to think of saving the np birdhouse for you, you must have shed a tear at his kindness. I can just picture you at the window., smiling at the birdies, enjoying the best that life has to offer..wonderful that family pitched in! Do you have the house to yourself or is it an apartment, know you downsized to the bare bones, will you have to replace some items that you missed?

Sharon, you are a trooper, you are doing so well..enjoying all the beauty both you and Lindakay provided..two ladies with a green thumb for roses..looked out at my yard, hard to imagine beauty under dead growth, all I see right now is work.

High of 61 today, best enjoy it as cooler temps for next 2 weeks. I got up at 8:30 and already on the couch 😒. Will post, give myself a good shake, need to find some energy to get a few things done inside/outside as mom is coming to spend the week and likes that I keep her company.

Finished breakfast, off the couch and take on a project

Hope it's a sunshine day for everyone

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

For the most part we have had good tenants. The ones we have now were too until just recently. They are having problems in their relationship, have split and got back together when the little guy was found to have diabetes. Just seems they are drinking a lot and he has become abusive to her. We've given them food and back some of the rent when they were in difficulty. They were allowed to use the lake and keep a boat there. Often when our whole crew was here, they would join in on the fun.We've baby sat for them, we set up a playground for their kids and Amelia.
Main thing is, the house now needs some major work done and we can't do it with it being lived in. The plumbing is showing it's age as is the electrical. Roof & siding need replacement and all the cosmetic stuff needs redoing.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Had to come back and post this

“Poor Old fool,” thought the well-dressed gentleman as he watched an old man fish in a puddle outside a pub. So he invited the old man inside for a drink. As they sipped their whiskeys, the gentleman thought he’d humor the old man and asked, “So how many have you caught today?”

The old man replied, “You’re the eighth.”

Went looking for a joke, it would have been Tubby's Birthday today
I so often think of him, how he made each day brighter with the jokes he misted almost daily...some people touch your heart, Tubby was one of them..

Wonder how Shirley is doing?

Thanks for the joke in Tubby's honor Betty. I miss him too. Have you heard from Shirley at all?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Had a Christmas card last year, must try to find it and send her a note..am sure I kept it with good intentions of writing..will put that on my to do list

Got the front deck water feature going, raked the area that Joyce and the girls did for me with the beautiful drilled rock, washing everything down, hoping to have it running by tonight, Darlene dropped in for a bit, busy gal with her new beau

Having salad then out to rake a bit
So laughing, spend more time lifting my pants up..too big, must do some taking in😝

Be careful losing so much weight quickly.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Not trying, just happening

Weight loss at that rate .. well .. usually cause a gall bladder problem .. it's a pretty convoluted explanation .. but ,pretty basically your gall bladder starts to miss the fat it has been getting, it's used to working at a certain pace, and then, boom .. you cut back or lose weight .. it goes 'what the heck' .. and, it acts up by spasming and causing you a lotta grief .. ..

Barb ,, HURRAH !!!!!!!!! All moved in, and a new chapter to begin .. so exciting for you and Norm .. I hope this place is all you wanted and more .. your SIL is a dream :-)

DH and I went to the eye doc ... I ended up staying in the car as I was feeling SO punk .. while waiting I felt my L eye doing ?something?, pulled the visor down and POOF .. looks like I have PINK EYE (again) .. my temp is up, and, I generally feel like last nights supper left out to dry !!!
I have some drops to instil .. and, have done so ..
Anyway .. good old Gord had the old needle into the eye ... the eye doc flushes out the channel made by the surgery ..
I wondered why he was taking so long in the clinic, he and the doc started talking about diving .. DH is a diver and his doc had just gotten back from Jamaica from a diving tour ..

I never knew Shirley or Tubby .. sound like wonderful folks though :-)

Gottta boodle .. feel all in

~M~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.