Ferns

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I love ferns. I have one that is not doing as well as I thought it would, the autumn fern. Do you have a favorite fern?
1. autumn fern
2. holly fern
3. I don't know fern LOL!

Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Greetings, fern fan! I'm another.

Athyrium felix femina

Athyrium nipponicum 'pictum'

Athyrium nipponicum 'Ursula's Red'

And a picture from 2014 that I send because you can really see the contrast - Athyrium Branford Beauty and Athyrium Branford Rambler.

And yes, it does ramble (highly recommended). It rises up and spreads.

'Ursula's Red' has always been my favorite.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

Athyrium nipponicum 'Ursula's Red' is a beauty. I must search for that one.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm so glad that you like it I just love Ursula - named after a real human being. There are other burgundy ones but she is, I think, the best. It pops up from time to time on sites like Bluestone and Forest Farm.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

My new fav- Arachniodes simplicior 'Variegata' (Variegated East Indian Holly Fern).
I bought three little ones off a sale rack three years ago, they seemed "iffy" for my area, reports in Plantfiles from California, TX and the deep south, but were cheap so I decided to try them again, having killed a full price gallon size plant previously. When they did not return the next year I was a bit sad, but last year in the summer each sprouted a single leaf! Now they are growing for real. I intend to actually water them this year, but they are clearly a dry shade kind of survivor. I may have to move them, as of course I then planted some Bergenia to cover up the hole.

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

"I actually intend to water them this year" LOL!

I started growing ferns in hot clay at my former house. Maidenhair fern keeled immediately. Athyrium felix femina would burn out, but recover. But athyrium nipponicum pictum did very well. Then I got Ursula, and wow was she happy. I had two Ursula at my former home and took one with me, and then got a bit of pictum and it did well too. The Branfords I found at Forest Farm.

I have bergenia too. I bought some cordifolia when they were inexpensive, and then grew some winterglut, courtesy of JL Hudson. They are much happier in the semishady conditions of my new home. I just love it when I can easily grow a favorite plant. It allows me to have as many as I want and have room for!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.