What the heck is this

Crestview, FL(Zone 8b)

I was checking my cherry trees (experiment with the new low chill type) and I notice something that I thought was some red clay dirt pushed up from one side of the trunk, right at the dirt line, maybe by ants. We have a lot of both in NW Florida. But when I looked closer it was more like foam but really thick like pudding. It was reddish brown on top (perhaps because it was drying in the air) but a really bright yellow underneath. Any idea what this might be?????

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I have no idea. Someone might be able to figure it out with a picture.
If no one responds, maybe post it on another more active forum.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

It's slime mold. It is completely harmless. It won't harm the environment, and it won't hurt your plants. There is some literature that it actually consumes pathogens and bacterial that can harm your plants. But it's just disgusting looking, and you should feel free to just wipe it away. Your observation is correct - it's drying in the air. I remember the first time I saw it. It's like a rite of passage - I think most gardeners remember the site of slime mold.

Have a look at this:

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/fungus-lichen/what-is-slime-mold-slime.htm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.