Monarch winter storm survivers are arriving in Texas

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Here is the most recent info from Journey North regarding surviving Monarchs from that terrible storm back in early March.

It's definitely heartbreaking. Numbers are down slightly for this time of year and many have badly damaged wings. But there are upsides to having their population concentrated right now where the weather is warmer.

They say the warmer temperatures allow them to complete a life cycle more quickly.

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/monarch/spring2016/13/monarch-butterfly-migration040716.html

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I seldom get any spring and summer, but I get them in the fall headed south. So I have never bothered with Milkweed since they are mostly looking for nectar not hosts. However, I have seen late summer early fall caterpillars on Milkweed not too far from here. Since the species is struggling, planting some Milkweed is on my "to do" list for this year. I have patches of a native milkweed growing near my yard but it has narrow needle-like leaves and does not seem to attract or support Monarchs.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm also planning to have some milkweed this year. I don't have a lot of full sun areas, but I would still like some. We're still a little early for any Butterflies.

I just started seeing the first bees yesterday. The only flowers for them right now are the early dandelions that we leave until the weather is a little warmer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.