Silene info please

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I came across these plants on the website and can't find very much about them. Are they "weedy" and gardeners don't plant them or what? If anyone has any knowledge and/or experience growing them, please let me know what you think about them.
Dave's Garden Plant Files has very little about them, at least, not enough for me to decide whether I want to get some of these plants. They look kind of cute and different.

Silene latifolia, Silene nutans "Confetti", Silene pusilla

Here's the website I found them:
http://www.plant-world-seeds.com/store/search_for_item?page=3&search_string=silene

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I've grown them and didn't find them weedy.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Cville,
Did you put them in full sun?
How tall do they get and wide?
Do they have to have excellent drainage?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Silene latifolia is an introduced, invasive weed that's naturalized across most of North America, which must suggest a certain aptitude for abundant seeding? That said, if you want to grow it, keeping an eye on it and doing some deadheading or weeding may keep it controlled.

Silene nutans has also naturalized in certain states in the NE US. I'd suggest the same caution.

Silene pusilla is an excellent little alpine. No danger of it exceeding its bounds.

If you'd like to grow some very showy perennial Silene species that are smaller in stature (and not seemingly on any state weed lists), Silene zawadskii and Silene uniflora are both excellent plants. They do very well here, though of course, our conditions are much different and I have no experience growing in your conditions. Perhaps worth a try though?

The attached photos are, from left to right, Silene pusilla, Silene zawadskii and Silene uniflora - all are for full sun:

This message was edited Mar 30, 2016 10:54 AM

Thumbnail by altagardener Thumbnail by altagardener Thumbnail by altagardener
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the good information. I was skeptical about these plants when I didn't find much information about them.
I love the three pictures you shared. I will research them.

Pittsburgh, PA

I have grown silene rolly's (silene robotii) favorite, which puts out a lot of volunteers. I try to dead head to keep them from over running my garden. It is very pretty and blooms early.

I have also grown bladder campion, (silene vulgaris), that has a swollen bladder-like calyx, that in my garden never reseeds. It is unusual and only gets to 5 inches in my garden. It supposedly is a native weed. I bought seed.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

obliqua, thanks, I'll look up your plants and read about them.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Silene vulgaris is not native - it's an introduced weed from Europe, another that's colonized almost every province and state... another to watch closely if you grow it.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Always learning. Thanks!
the Silene robotii is pink!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.